Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which is better, ASP / PHP / JSP

Which is better, ASP / PHP / JSP

Hey guyz, am really confused :shify:
    which is better in order to have a good website
    I need it secured, also I want it fixed also with a very good looking actually.

Can you help me with which one to choose please?

Re: Which is better, ASP / PHP / JSP

When it comes to site looking good, the choise of PHP, ASP or ASP.NET does not matter, the design part is a seperate process. Regarding the choise of ASP, PHP or JSP I can only speak for myself, but I would choose ASP.NET, it can definitly bee secure like you desire using membership provider, roles, etc. Furthermore you can secure individual folder in your site using the web.config file.

Thanks alot Praetor for the info , i really appreciate that. I was asking coz i was confused no more, and i have to say that JSP is better than ASP in the security situation ! as u know, your website may get hacked more easily than when u use JSP.

But i got idea about php. PHP is a secured, open source tool i can use in my application and it enables many features i can handle also.

I guess PHP would be my solution!

I would say that they are generally about the same, though I have never used JSP. They will all be able to produce the same result.

When choosing one, You would need to look at the server you are using Windows for example = ASP, Linux = PHP (Again not sure about JSP)

Also, past programming experience may be a factor Thursday, as the Syntax is different for these languages so your past experiences may make one language easier to learn than another.

Also, I would take into account the fact that Microsoft want to phase out ASP to be replaced by ASP.Net.

And with PHP being an Open Source language may mean that it will continue way into the future, adapting to suit the needs of the programs.

I have done my web site on PHP, but I've been told that JSP is better. And I am just trying to get as much information as possible before I develop too much and find out down the road that I am going to be limited.

JSP is much more secured. It totally depends on the developer of the application. My preference is PHP for web applications. As for desktop application, I prefer Java or Python (still learning in progress).

I do not think it's fair to compare with modern classic ASP PHP. While PHP is still the same extension, it has been continuously updated. However, ASP (still a powerful technology, as evidenced by this forum) was replaced by Microsoft with ASP.NET.

Both, PHP and ASP.NET are powerful technologies. PHP is easier to learn than ASP.NET, but if you ever master ASP.NET then you're in a very good shape.

Even though I programme in vb.net (asp...), I have to admit that I have never opened a page hosted on windows (asp server) that is faster than Linux (php server). I think the problem is the speed of the domain server/software rather than the language used.

But then asp seems to really work well with more complex, database driven web applications.

This is purely my experience.

All web applications are subject to the same sql and header injection tactics, and as of php6 register globals along with some other not necessary poor programming tactics but commonly used incorrectly tactics will no longer be available. These are things that php has been under scrutiny about for a long time and there are warnings posted everywhere so if you fall under that category if is of your own neglect.

Well, once again it's not really possible to answer this without knowing what the end result is to be.

I write PHP and it's fine with me for everything I want to do but I have more knowledgable ex colleagues that tell me JSP is much better for certain applications.

Bottom line is what is it you want to achieve?

Well, once again it's not really possible to answer this without knowing what the end result is to be.

I write PHP and it's fine with me for everything I want to do but I have more knowledgable ex colleagues that tell me JSP is much better for certain applications.

Bottom line is what is it you want to achieve?

It depends upon your specific needs like hosting, database and knowledge about which technology to use. I prefer php which is the widely accepted scripting language.

I think you can't really compare jsp and asp.net with php. jsp and asp.net are not only languages, they offer frameworks, facilities to help you developing a *complex* web application.

Actually php just gives you some tools, not a standardized framework, even if *there are* thrid-party frameworks such as php-cake or p4a.

I think the real choice is between asp.net, jsp and RubyOnRails.

BTW,if you only need a slightly interactive web site, php it's okay because of its diffusion... if you plan to do something more complex... then it's better something else.

You can use those frameworks for simpler stuff, though.

Rails it's the only free, asp.net and jsp (i'm not sure about this one) are not.

You could find such discussions in the history of this (and various others) group. But short and simple (IMHO):
    • PHP the language is extremly simple
    • PHP the environment is wide spread
    • PHP is (more) multi platform.
    • ASP.net, Java/Servlets/JSP come with a VM overhead, which could be a huge impact on light weight machines.

I think that asp is for those who are comfy with the vb and other win based programming, and it pays out very well too, since they are high in demand in the programming industry.
    PHP is very strong, robust and is for everyone who knows his thing and it has a very helpful community around it which is good for the newbies entering the programming.
    JSP is for….well…err…hmm…no idea, but its certification is very valuable.

the verdict? ASP is for money, PHP is for passion. JSP is for..

If I am wrong, do correct me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast