Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 25-10-2008

Image map and SEO query

In a current site the menu is an image map.
E.G.
The details are as follows.
Code:
<map name="Map">
<area shape="rect" coords="6,13,72,33" href="http://foo.co.nz/index.html"
title="Back Home..." />
more similar entries for each page...
</map>
Can Google see these other linked pages, or from A SEO the menu should be a conventional css styled menu of a type with which I am reasonably familiar?
Old 25-10-2008

Re: Image map and SEO query

It's particularly poor accessibility if you omit the ALT attribute (and thereby use invalid markup, to add formal incorrectness to real injury), as above and as so often.
It's better that you don't know that. Think about accessibility, usability,and simplicity in navigation, and search engine friendlyness comes more or less automatically.

"SEO" is a buzzword used largely to sell questionable services and misguided principles. It promises "optimization", even though it should be obvious that no optimum can ever be reached in the world of varying search engines (which are largely intentionally varied to fight against evil forms of "SEO").

I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that Google traverses the href attributes in <area> elements on saturdays only. But I would be surprised if information about internals of Google were revealed in a manner that justifies an assumption that the information is correct and stable.

TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Tags: , ,