Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 25-10-2008

Which default icons are available

I try to create a simple JButton with an arrow icon that shall look the same as the arrow buttons in for instance the JScrollPane and JComboBox.

I've found something like UIManager.getIcon( "Some icon string" ) but which icon strings are available to me? Is this the right way to copy the look of another component?
Old 25-10-2008

Re: Which default icons are available

This is not documented anywhere. In general, there is no reliable API to get internal icons, especially not in a PLAF-independent way. You can get the UIDefaults via the UIManager and print all the defaults (it is a Map). There is e.g. a small tool called ShowUIDefaults.java out there doing this with a GUI.

This list will contain among other things the icon key/value pairs, so you will see which ones are available for the current PLAF. But another PLAF or another VM implementation might provide a completely different set of icons, or no icons at all.

If you want to deal with Metal only, you can use javax.swing.plaf.metal.MetalIconFactory to get Metal-Related icons. This is at least a public API, although not a really good one. You could also snoop round in the javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicIconFactory for some more icons.
Old 25-10-2008

Ok, thanks. I'll check that out.
Old 25-10-2008

This page (http://forums.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5338038) has some code sample that shows the default values for a given theme, thus teling which icon strings it supports.

For the Nimbus look and feel, I got this info:
Tree.collapsedIcon
FileChooser.directoryIcon
FileChooser.detailsViewIcon
OptionPane.questionIcon
FileChooser.newFolderIcon
FileView.floppyDriveIcon
Tree.openIcon
Tree.expandedIcon
OptionPane.informationIcon
Tree.closedIcon
Tree.leafIcon