Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 25-10-2008

const Obj problem in C++

I have been struggling with something that should be very simple to solve... Basically, I get a const Obj* from a function and I need to send a pointer to this object to a function accepting only a Obj*. I get compiler errors as shown below:

source\ManagerViewer.cpp: In member function `void managerViewer::addLoggerWidget(const QWidget*)': source\ManagerViewer.cpp:26: error: invalid conversion from `const QWidget*' to `QWidget*'

I understand that the following will result in a pointer which can be changed, and the compiler stops:
QWidget* widget = const_widget_ptr;

But the function accepting the pointer is not my own and I need to send a non-const pointer to it.

Is there a way to work around this?

Thanks
Old 25-10-2008

Re: const Obj problem in C++

Code:
int Obj::Read() const;
int Obj::Write(int iWhatever);

int PrettyFunction(int iCommand, Obj* pObject, int iAux)
{
switch(iCommand)
{
case CMD_READ:
return pObject->Read();
case CMD_WRITE:
return pObject->Write(iAux);
default:
DropBombOnWhiteHouse();
}
}
Old 25-10-2008

Re: const Obj problem in C++

That you could do it, yes, thats its appropriate, no. The problem here is you are passing a pointer to a constant and looking for a way to break a promise.
To drive the point a little further, the parameter Obj* pObject should
really be

Obj* const pObject

where that crucial pointer can't be reseated (or better yet Obj& r_obj).

If the client of your code sees a constant pointer to a constant (ie: const Obj* const pObject), the last thing the client will expect is that the pointee gets modified or reseated. Either would break the contract and in essence: the interface. At that point your client (who might very well be yourself in the near future) will then face the horror of having to read and consult every line of code because the interface can no longer be trusted.

TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Tags: ,