Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2008

Code behind to look for correct folder on server

I have two folders in my site's root folder. One is the folder that holds the files for downloading and other is the application folder for code behind. For downloading a file, the code behind interacts with my HTML page for downloading. I am using the method of response.transmitfile. When ever i try to download the file of applications that is uploaded to file, then instead of going to the root of the site and then into the folder for downloading, it tries to pull it from the application folder. Am i missing something with the transmitfile method? My downloadfile code is as given below. Pls tell me if there is something wrong.
Code:
public void fileDownload(string filePath, string fileName)
{
fileName = System.IO.Path.GetFileName(filePath);

if (fileName != null)
{
try
{

HttpContext.Current.Response.ClearContent();

HttpContext.Current.Response.ClearHeaders();

HttpContext.Current.Response.AddHeader("Content-length", fileName.Length.ToString());

HttpContext.Current.Response.AddHeader("Content-Disposition", "attachement; filename=" + fileName);

HttpContext.Current.Response.ContentType = "application/exe";

HttpContext.Current.Response.TransmitFile("/programs/" + answerClicked + ".exe");

HttpContext.Current.Response.Flush();

HttpContext.Current.Response.Close();

}

catch (Exception ex)
{
HttpContext.Current.Response.Write("Error: " + ex.Message);
}

}
else
{
HttpContext.Current.Response.Write("Error: File Not Found");
}
return;
}
Old 06-09-2008

The problem is that you are using a relative path to transmit the file. You application is running in the applications folders, it will attempt to transmit the file starting from that location.

You need to use:

Server.MapPath()

the change you make would be:
Code:
HttpContext.Current.Response.TransmitFile(this.Context.Server.MapPath("/programs/" + answerClicked + ".exe"));
This method will map your relative directory "/programs/" + answerClicked + ".exe", to a physical one, starting from your sites root directory i.e

c:\inetpub\wwwroot\programs\<answerClicked>.exe
Old 06-09-2008

I tried this thing. It still goes to the application folder looking for the program to download. To get it downloaded from the different folder, i think i will need to try a different approach. Thank you for the reply.

TechArena Community > Software > Software Development
Tags: