Thread: Missing email in Exchange 2003

Missing email in Exchange 2003

I have got an SBS server 2003 with exchange 2003. I have imported a users email onto the system and I checked the number of items in his inbox, sent, contact and calendar and everything was fine. The next day, half of his inbox is missing between 2 dates which basically includes this years and half of previous years. How do I check this out to see how they went missing. Thanks for any information.

Re: Missing email in Exchange 2003

Could you please tell us what exactly is missing? Is it new mail, old mail, or something else? I think that it is not necessary to import from a pst file, and various users will tell you not to do this but just copy or drag and drop from the pst into the exchange mailbox. I was thinking if the original is intact, and if you could just copy it over and not import, or if the archiving rules are forcing some into archive folders, or if the user did a drag and drop, that users are prone to do, without even realizing it and the missing messages are just lurking in a different folder.

You can try to turn On the AutoArchive Feature in Outlook:

1. Click the File tab, and then click the Options tab on the File menu.
    2. Click the Advanced tab.
    3. Click AutoArchive Settings.
    4. Click to select the AutoArchive Every check box, and then type a number in the Days box to specify how frequently the AutoArchive process runs.
    5. If you want to be notified before the items are archived, click to select the Prompt Before AutoArchive check box.
    6. In the Default archive file box, type a file name for the archived items to be transferred to, or click Browse to select from a list.
    7. Click OK two times.

Follow the steps below to set AutoArchive Properties for a Folder:
    1. In the Folder List, right-click the folder that you want to AutoArchive, and then click Properties.
    2. Click the AutoArchive tab.
    3. To set AutoArchive for this folder, click to select Clean out items older than.
    4. To specify when items should be automatically transferred to your archive file, type a number in the Months box.
    5. To specify a file for the archived items to be transferred to, click Move old items to.
    6. In the Move old items to box, type a file name for the archived items, or click Browse to select from a list, and then click OK.

You can also try to configure the size limit for both (.pst) and (.ost) files in Outlook, just follow the steps given here - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/832925/en-us