Thread: Best way to move user to different/new computer

Best way to move user to different/new computer

I am on a SBS 2003 Server and I want to move some computers around the office to different users and I also need to setup a new computer for one of the users. We do not use roaming profiles but My Documents are redirected to the server. So, what is the best way to migrate user settings/profiles to their new computer? I have used Forensit Profile Wizard in the past but wonder what the best pratice could be? Thanks.

Re: Best way to move user to different/new computer

If you want to move computers between users or move an existing users profile to new hardware, then I just use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard. That works pretty well for everything I can think of and I leave the profile on the old computer incase the user complaints of something that got missed. I normally select everything to migrate. Then on the next screen , you can define what everything consists of .After that, I go int and un-select whatever I dont want. IIRC, if you just let it migrate everything, you will get a lot of useless and unwanted stuff from the old profile.

Thanks for responding, these are all XP pro machines and I have used FAST many times for transferring files or settings in a non-domain environment and have found it work as well. I was just not sure there were any problems in the SBS environment.