Thread: Upgrade from SBS 2003 to Windows Server 2003 Standard

Upgrade from SBS 2003 to Windows Server 2003 Standard

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to upgrade SBS 2003 to a Standard environment? I have got one SBS server doing our Active Directory, File Server, Print Server, Exchange, and Terminal Server. It is a Dell Poweredge 2800, that has dual processors with 2gb ram. We have about 35 users with 5 terminaling in remotely. I was thinking if I can add a server to it. It seems SBS is designed to work alone, but is it possible to mobe to Standard Server 2003 and keep Exchange? Thanks.

Re: Upgrade from SBS 2003 to Windows Server 2003 Standard

What are the symptoms or concerns do you have about the SBS server? I dont think that you are using the SBS as a TS for running applications, and if I were to add another server that is where I would go first. But the solution to your querie is the SBS transition pack. Are you using SBS 2003 with SP1 or SP2? What about the Exchange SP2?

Re: Upgrade from SBS 2003 to Windows Server 2003 Standard

You have probably got the below 3 options:

1. First of all you can add a second server, running Windows Server Standard. Put any loads that aren't absolutely tied to the original server (packaged applications such as Exchange ARE tied).
    2. Or you can buy a full copy of Standard and replace you're existing SBS. Also buy full copies of Exchange and any other applications that come with SBS you're using. Start over from scratch.
    3. Or else you can even buy the Transition Pack and convert your existing SBS to a Standard, giving you flexibility to move as you wish, _within the limits of any OEM license you may have purchased.

I have the same challenge. I have a new job and my boss wants redundancy on the network. I am running SBS 2003 SP1. It is a PDC, running SQL, ISA and exchange.
    Is it psb to have 2 exchange servers in the same domain each with a copy of the mails sent and received? Because my boss wants when one goes down, the other one picks up immediately.
    I am good in ADS but still learning exchange and ISA. I am thinking of adding another Win 2k3 std server but research shows win 2k3 SBS doesn't allow multiple servers in a domain.
    everything is ok now but if things go wrong i know i will be in trouble.
    Kindly advise

Exchange Tweak to increase the size of DB

There is this tweak i came across effected it but still exchange has issues when it checks the database size. Always, I have to restart MS Exchange info store service at 10.00am everyday otherwise users cannot communicate. How do i solve this.
    I am running SBS 2k3 server with MS Exchange sp2 installed.
    The Server is an Proliant ML 370

I have an sbs 2003 server and we want to change everything to the new sever we bought which is running standard 2003 r2.

We only use our server as a file and print. So all we need to to be bale to transfer the users etc and have them logon with no issues ie changing profiles etc.