Thread: Error: D: is not a valid drive, or you do not have access.

Error: D: is not a valid drive, or you do not have access.

While performing backup there is a constant error which is spoiling the entire process. I went inside the backup log and found the error was related to some shadow copy. It is just taking my D drive as a invalid. The bkf file is generated but somehow it not working fine. I want some help here. I am just following the most common way of running backup. There is no error reported. So the problem basically lies with some settings.

Try to reconfigure the backup once again and ensure that in the driver properties you had enabled the shadow copy settings. Or else it will be a waste of time. There can be problem with drive sector also. Scan your disc for bad sectors and then check back. I am sure there is some problem with the hardware in which you are getting the problem. You must try to change the partition and then check back.

Do you have a mirror setup in your system. If then it is necessary that you must analyze your system health. It is necessary. Or else there will be problem with the backup. The problem is common. Some settings are causing the failure and there is cure for the same. You can try to find out some manual on the web which has more detailed information on configure backup. You can simply modify the settings as per the same and then check back.

Hi Les and Merv,
    I've got the same issue with a customer. D: is data source and not the destination but the backup logs says after backing up C: that "Error: D: is not a valid drive, or you do not have access." then quits. Plenty of destination drive space and D is completely accessable via console for the admin. Did you ever find a resolution to this? I'll keep searching newsgroups and see if anyone else has solved this one.

Mark Crall

Here is one that others claim solves this issue: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=833167