Thread: How to Open Port

How to Open Port

Hi, I’m running a SBS 2003 Standard Edition server. There are few clients workstations running Windows XP. I have opened an exception in Client firewall for port 995. Apart from this I’ve also added a port/service in the basic firewall on Server, however I’m not sure if all in port, ip address, out port, etc are configured properly. Also as my title says, I want to open port 995 (SSL) to get pop3 mail from an external mail server. Hence need helps from you all. Thank you.

Re: How to Open Port

As far as I know the default Windows firewall won’t block any outbound ports. And unless and until you're blocking outbound ports in your firewall appliance you should be able to POP your mail. By the way are you not using ISA? Also why are you using SBS server as a POP client for an externally hosted server? I don’t think it’s a good choice.

Hello Judy, as you asked why am I using SBS server as a POP client for an externally hosted server, well the answer is I have two domains for email whereas the primary domain uses SBS Exchange Server Mail and it works fine without any problem but the secondary domain does not. There is a client PC on my network which needs to get through my firewalls in order to download email from external webhost mail server using a secured connection. Here I am able to send and download mails using Port 110 but not using port 995.

I got the outlook configuration from my webhost but I'm not sure if this may be a certificate issue and not a firewall issue? Also as I said before whenever I try downloading mails from 995 SSL port I get an error saying the connection has been interrupted.

The very first thing I’ll suggest is stop using POP. Pop connectors are just a great big kluge. In order to fix the problem, just checkout this article: http://www.msexchange.org/articles-tutorials/