Thread: Microsoft##SSEE SQL Server (what is it?)

Microsoft##SSEE SQL Server (what is it?)

I am running SBS 2003 R2. Am running this system since along time but recently I saw a new SQL Server appeared on my box named “Microsoft##SSEE”. I don’t know from where and when it came. I even don’t know what is it. Can anyone here please tell me what is it and how is it helpful? Most important is it safe to put it in SBS 2003 R2? Thanks for all your helps.

Re: Microsoft##SSEE SQL Server (what is it?)

I think you might have upgraded WSUS to WSUS 3.0 with or without SP1 which brought the same. Anyways, I don’t know whether it is safe or not for your SBS but I do know that it is not the Genuine part of SBS 2003 R2. Actually it is an embedded SQL Server 2005 data service that can only be used by a handful of Windows Services.

By the way can you just check if it is using about 1 GB of your RAM? If yes, reply back.

Re: Microsoft##SSEE SQL Server (what is it?)

Wow, it appears like you have good experience about this. As you said yes I upgraded to WSUS which was recommended to me after running best practices tool from Microsoft. But as you say, it isn't integrated into the normal "Server Management" tool, when I click WSUS I receive this long message:

"Windows Small Business Server (Windows SBS) Update Services is not running because it automatically turns off if you customize Windows Server Update Services (WSUS). For a list of specific settings that cause Windows SBS Update Services to turn off, see the Microsoft Web site. Even if WSUS is managing updates for your network, the accuracy of the status in the Windows SBS monitoring report or on the Update Services home page cannot be guaranteed. To use Windows SBS Update Services, reverse the changes that you have made to WSUS or reinstall Windows SBS 2003 R2. "