Thread: Increase bandwidth for VPN users

Increase bandwidth for VPN users

I need some help with increasing the vpn bandwidth on SBS 2003 R2 Environment. The server that I am using is just a few year old. It is working on Xeon processor with 4GB of RAM. As per me it is more than enough for managing a network of multiple workstations. Users had started complaining about the slow bandwidth of server. They are trying to connect remotely but due to slow connection they are annoyed. So I need some help here. I had not applied any limitation in the connectivity. I also cannot find any settings that can allow me to raise the bandwidth.

Did you tried to use RWW in place of VPN. I hope that would help you more in dealing with the problem. For using VPN you will require a more detail documentation. It is secure but there are ample of settings which are required to get active and smooth connectivity. I am using RWW on a client network of 25 computers and they are working well. It looks to be proper. So for once just try to test what performance difference you can get on RWW compared to a VPN.

I agree with usage of RWW. It allows a easy connection of desktop with remote location and it is one of the easiest way to configure remote connectivity. As it is a integrated service you do not require to manage additional settings and above all it is a more cost effective solution compared to vpn. In VPN you need to work with different applications and also needs more information on the rights that are allotted to the users. So better work on the RWW.

Re: Increase bandwidth for VPN users

That is not actually a solution. You are asking to switch to RWW instead of VPN. I hope to get a much faster connection on VPN only so that is the point where I am looking for solution. In my case, the network is not slow, but it is somehow poor in performance. Does that also matters with the broadband speed that we own. We are using a high speed plan and on that basis the current speed that we receive is not at all acceptable. We are still struggling to find out the cause.

VPN delivers a security connection. It is essential that you must know the entire process how it really works. The reason that you face on low bandwidth is because VPN is working on a encrypted network. That is the reason why the speed is slow. It is a security tunnel which encrypt each connectivity and that process consume time. There is no benefit in upgrading the server hardware also. Somehow the client workstation if does not meets common standard then also the connectivity is affected. You will need to checkout all the security settings and enable those which are required.

I am a 6MBPS network and still users are complaining about slow performance. We are having 6 different branches which are around the world. The users access the network through their laptop from remote location. But it looks that all of them are not getting a stable speed. At some place we tested. The connectivity is awesome but at some place it is slow.

It can be due to a broken link which is causing the problem in the performance. Encryption is another major issue that makes the entire system slower. We are having a SQL server placed on the remote location. At some point when we try to access the data the connectivity is very slow. The reason was broken link in the database. We checked everything from scratch and was able to find out the solution.

Sometime it also depends on the type of broadband you are using and on the type of files that are accessed through vpn. Data files are faster to move while media files take more time. You will need to get the broadband on that basis. There are some vpn accelerator software that can allow you to get a faster connectivity. But there are few chances that it would help to all. I think upgrading your broadband will give you more performance.

You can create a log report of connection. Like create the log report of time how faster one is able to connect and what is the maximum time taken based on location. On that basis you can figure why the vpn is slow. You can compare those reports. Also it will help you to find out the cost behind adding a terminal server.

In case of VPN you need a better internet bandwidth. Going for L2TP is good, but that is a high cost operation. You will need to spend additional on buying certificates and adding more stuff. While as mentioned above RWW is more cost effective solution and also deliver performance. But for that you will need to change the entire setup and move from vpn to rww.