Thread: MMC cannot open the file C:\WINDOWS\system32\dfrg.msc

MMC cannot open the file C:\WINDOWS\system32\dfrg.msc

I’m running Windows SBS 2003 server. There are few client workstations running windows XP Professional SP2. Server is fully patched with recent windows updates. I’ve created a shortcut on desktop for Disk Defragmenter which points me to "%SystemRoot%\system32\dfrg.msc". I did this on all workstations as well as my server.

Now problem is when I run this shortcut on Server, it works fine but when I run the same on workstations it gives me an error message saying “MMC cannot open the file C:\WINDOWS\system32\dfrg.msc”

Any help please?

Re: MMC cannot open the file C:\WINDOWS\system32\dfrg.msc

Is the error occurring on all workstations or any one PC? If yes, than just try creating a new desktop shortcut for dfrg.msc and see what happens.

Nope, the problem is not just on one pc, but on all systems. Hence I don’t think the problem is with shortcut icon. Am sure there is something else creating the problem.

While searching for the help I came through a Microsoft Article describing “You receive a "Cannot open <Snap-in Name>" error message when you try to start MMC on a Windows XP-based computer”. I think you will surely get some help over there. Just check: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326574

Hey madon, can you tell what exactly happens if you create a new .MSC file for Defragmenter, by running "MMC /a", adding the Disk Defragmenter Snap-In and saving that?

If I assume that when you type dfrg.msc in the run box it does not run, then the best solution is to make shortcuts often enough where all I type in the shortcut is the name of the msc. It should help.