Thread: corrupt recycle bin in users folder on server after vista client s

corrupt recycle bin in users folder on server after vista client s

I have a SBS 2003, recently added a Vista client to this domain. Since then I started getting error messages displaying the client of a corrupt recycle bin in user folder on the server. As a workaround I tried locating hidden files on both server as well as client but for no success. So I thought deleting and restoring the desktop Recycle Bin icon may help but I was wrong, yet the same problem.

Is there any registry tweak which I need to perform in order to get rid of this error? If yes, please let me know. Thank you.

Re: corrupt recycle bin in users folder on server after vista client s

Though I have bit knowledge of SBS but as I dint had any Vista client yet I don’t know what could be the reason behind your problem but I may help you if you can post back with the exact text (& context!) of the error message you received. So reply back with that error.

Re: corrupt recycle bin in users folder on server after vista clie

Thanks for your effort anshusehgal, here is the exact error message I saw:

"Item Not Found
    Could not find this item

This is no longer located in \\SERVERNAME\Users\USER\My Documents\My Pictures\$RECYCLE.BIN. Verify the item's location and try again"

Just after this error, i get one more dialogue box which says:

"The Recycle Bin on \\SERVERNAME\Users\USER\My Documents\My Music is corrupted. Do you want to empty the Recycle Bin for this drive?"

When i click on Yes button, it says Could not find this item etc... Very annoying. Any help please?

Most probably that error occurs if the recycle bin is having number of unknown files n folders in it and the Security Permissions were not right on it. Well in order to fix this error, there is a Hotfix provided by Microsoft here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297760 but unfortunately it is not for Vista. So, we need to go through with few manual steps and see if it helps. Just follow these:
    • Ensure you join the Vista client to SBS domain thru connect computer wizard.
    • Ensure you had installed the following hotfix on SBS 2003: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=926505
    • Logon Vista with local administrator, and empty the Recycle Bin of Vista.
    • Reset the Security Permission on Recycle Bin to Default
    • Then, test this issue

I think you should raise permission of the domain user account which logon this Vista client with the following steps and see if it works.
    • Click Start, right click Computer, select Manage
    • Extend System Tools -> Local Users and Groups ->Groups
    • Double click Administrators in middle pane. Add the domain user account which logon this Vista computer to the list.
    • Click OK.