Thread: RPC Server Unavailable (Small Business Server 2003 SP2)

RPC Server Unavailable (Small Business Server 2003 SP2)

We are using Small Business Server 2003 SP2 in our Office. Recently we started using diagnostic tools such as SONAR (FRS software), GPResult, and other Diagnostic tools. Since then none of the other servers are able to access few stuffs on our server. I am not able to figure out the exact cause of the problem because they are able to connect but not cannot access certain things.

Do anyone here tell me what is wrong with our SBS or somewhere else which is causing this problem?

RE: RPC Server Unavailable (Small Business Server 2003 SP2)

Hi Leythos, have you run the post SP2 updates for SBS? Meanwhile just follow these steps and see if it helps you:

As you said the problem started actually after running the diagnostic tools, I’ll recommend you to better do a clean boot and see if the problem occurs again. I guess there might be any third party services or applications creating the issue.

After this If you have installed ISA Server 2004 on SBS then uncheck the option "enable strict RPC compliance" in the System Policy and in the SBS Protected Networks Access Rule.

Re: RPC Server Unavailable (Small Business Server 2003 SP2)

Thanks for the help friend. As you said, I unchecked the "Enable Strict RPC Compliance" option but it dint helped in any way. Let me tell you the error getting listed in our other Windows 2003 and Windows 2003 R2 Servers. It as follows:

“Event ID 13: Source:
    Autoenrollment - Automatic certificate enrollment for local system failed to enroll for one Domain Controller certificate (0x800706ba). The RPC server is unavailable.

Event ID: 10009:
    Source DCOM - DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer zues using any of the configured protocols.”

Apart from this I also noticed some error on SBS saying it cannot connect to the other DC's. What is it?

Re: RPC Server Unavailable (Small Business Server 2003 SP2)

I suspect your W2K3 R2 is unable to obtain an auto enrolled certificate from SBS 2003 hence the problem is occurring. Anyways, just go through this and see what happens:
    • Delete Certification related services from SBS
    • Also if you are using any firewall protection between SBS 2003 and W2K3 R2 then disable it or ensure the TCP 135 is open in the firewall for both directions.
    • If you have 2 IP addresses on SBS internal NIC then remove one IP address from the internal NIC and rerun the CEICW to test this issue.