Thread: Exchange email routing

Exchange email routing

Can anyone tell me whether it is true that if the email address resolves to an Exchange mailbox, Exchange routes the message to the mailbox? What if I need to set 'reply to' address to domain that should not be treated as a local in Exchange, if the email address resolves to an Exchange mailbox, Exchange does not route the message to the mailbox but forward it to host specified in SMTP connector.

Re: Exchange email routing

Incase the proxy address exists in AD, then the mail will be delivered to the object that holds the address, there is no way around this. Can you tell us the reason why you need internal mail to relay to postfix? In regards to mail for external recipients routing out to postfix, that is fine, just configure a smarthost on your SMTP connector rather than delivering via DNS. If there is any problem with abc.local being the default email address for your users, rather than the abc.come domain space, then this is easuly recitified within your Recipient Policies configuration.

Hi all

My problem:

On central location we have a Server 2000 and exchange 6.0 SP3, and cca. 30 users. In their Outlloks 2003 they all have two accounts (Exchange and POP3).

We have many other small locations/offices where users don't have exchange, but only POP accounts.

One user (Ana) moved from the central location to a remote location where they are in a workgroup, not domain, so the user uses only POP.

A new user (Mary) came on the place of Ana and she needs to have access to all her (Ana's) mails. I do this so that I just open another mailbox (Ana's mailbox) in Mary's Outlook 2003.

The problem is that when anybody from the central location send mail to Ana, who is now on a remote location without access to exchange, the mail gets routed/delivered internally to Ana's exchange mailbox instead of externally to her POP account on our ISP!

I tried modifying her SMTP address in herr AD account (E.mail addresses TAB) to ana@mycompany.com but it still goes internally.

Please help!

You dont have to split exchange and pop3. You should go with one or the other. Preferrably let exchange do all of your email. To do this, you will need to think about your strategy a bit for remote locations, but overall you will be happier once the front end work is done. Try to maintain a working email infrastructure when your email is not centrally stored and it stored in multiple locations becomes a problem for data retention and troubleshooting very quickly.

Thanks for the help.

I know that things should be done properly nut just repair/fix and sweep under the carpet, but I'm not quite an expert in this field and another coworker was assigned this segment, but he quit so now it's up to me... :-\

Yes Mary got the job of Anna, but Mary is not a new employee, she just got reasigned.

So I copied the mail from Anna to a .pst file, deleted Anna's user and mailbox, and then added Anna's .pst to Mary's Outlook.

It works, so everybody happy, ESPECIALLY ME! : D

Cheers!

Gigi.

You may want to try this. This was something that fixed a problem where the Outlook client would Default back to using Exchange instead of the SMTP account.

Hope this helps:

At the client, create the following registry key:

Location: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\SmallBusinessServer\ClientSetup
    Name: NoTransportOrder
    Type: REG_DWORD
    Data: 1

This shoould prevent the default from being changed.