Thread: Remote access issue: Unable to add the interface...

Remote access issue: Unable to add the interface...

Hi,

I'm having a problem on a fairly new SBS 2003 R2 standard edition server. The network is set up using a broadband firewall/router device so the SBS only has one NIC. I'm able to access the server using RWW, however I'm unable to connect to any client desktops from there. I 've checked the event viewer and I have an error concerning Remote Acces:

Event ID: 20106

Unable to add the interface {59276C37-1DD6-4612-8C49-2C5FCA826AE2} with the Router Manager for the IP protocol. The following error occured: Cannot complete this function.

If I follow the link provided, I just get these possible solutions:

- The interface type is not dedicated
    - The loopback and router is configured in Lanonly mode
    - There is not enough memory

Routing and Remote Access service seems to be running fine, if I stop and restart the service, the above error pops up again in the event viewer.

Other then this, everything else seems to be working just fine. I already tried running the Remote Access wizard again, with the same result.

I have no idea how to solve this issue, I've googled but couldn't come up with a solution :-(. Does anyone have any idea?

Thx for any help you can provide...

Wombat

RE: Remote access issue: Unable to add the interface...

Well the only thing I can suggest you is look at "cheatsheet" notes. Just ensure that port 4125 is also open for RWW to work to the clients. For more help on this, am providing you a short note below:

Incoming ports that should NOT be open
    • 21 FTP (File Transfer Protocol)
    • 80 HTTP (Internal Website)
    • 23 Telnet
    • 3389- Not necessary, only needed inside the LAN. 3389 redirects to 4125

Incoming ports that SHOULD be open
    • 25 SMTP (Mail)
    • 443 HTTPS (SSL for Outlook Web Access - OWA)
    • 444 (CompanyWeb Intranet via Sharepoint)
    • 1723 VPN (PPTP) Only if you are using VPN
    • 4125 Remote Web Workplace (RWW) so clients can connect to their internal client machines from outside the building via \Remote.

RE: Remote access issue: Unable to add the interface...

I don’t think he need to work with the ports, vshori, did you read his entire post? Anyways, can you just tell me how do you try connecting when you are outside of the Server lan area? Once logged in what do you see and how are you trying to get to the clients?

Thanks for your reply, I managed to solve the issue this morning, it had nothing to do with port redirection or something, it was actually caused by two factors:

- the error in the event viewer was caused because RAS was trying to add the 1394 Net adapter to the router manager, I disabled the 1394 adapter which fixed this error

- after the 1394 adapter was disabled, I was able to connect to client desktops using RWW again but still got an error on trying to connect to pc's running Vista, this was caused because the Vista pc's were configured to use NLA for RDP connections, but when checking the RDP version on the SBS it seems that NLA is not supported for SBS 2003. When I disabled the NLA requirement on the Vista pc's I could connect fine :-).

So luckily problem solved, thx again for your reply and let's hope this thread might help out someone who runs into the same issue!

gr
    Wombat