Thread: the terminal services activex control (mstscax.dll) does not match the version of the client shell

the terminal services activex control (mstscax.dll) does not match the version of the client shell

Whenever i am trying to start a 'remote desktop connection' from the server i get a dialogue box saying

"The terminal services activex control (mstscax.dll) does not match the version of the client shell" with an 'OK ' button.

When i click on OK then it goes away and nothing happens. Is there anyone who can help me out?? I need to fix it as soon as possible.

RE: the terminal services activex control (mstscax.dll) does not match the version of the client shell

In that case you can check out below things and make sure that you aren't missing anything.
    mstscax.dll is registered
    Both mstsc.exe and mstscax.dll are of the same version. Locate windows\system32 folder and cross check the version of the mstsc.exe and mstscax.dll files

If above conditions are true in your case then you can boot into Safe mode, expand files from the I386 folder for replacing the file, you can use below command for replacing the file.
    expand <CD-ROM>:\i386\mstscax.dl_ c:\windows\system32\mstscax.dll

Once you have replaced them successfully you can boot in to normal mode and test Remote Desktop Connection. In case you get the same error theni will suggest you to better uninstall and reinstall the latest version of Remote Desktop Connection.

I will like to inform you all that Microsoft has recently updated remote desktop client for server 2003 to version 6.0. Because of which there are possibilities that your DLL might have got updated by automatic updates messing up your EXE file.

In that case you just have to go to this link and download the complete remote desktop package and re-install it

Simply go to the this link and download the complete remote desktop package and re-install it.......... poof, problem solved.

Hope that helps.