Thread: SBS 2003 Premium R2 server becomes more unstable, page file grows to enormous size

SBS 2003 Premium R2 server becomes more unstable, page file grows to enormous size

I had gone through a series of article on this but still not able to find out the problem. My SBS 2003 Server is getting unstable day by day. I am not able to get into the exact cause, but it looks something is not working fine. I had setup the server. It is just used as centralized system to manage other user permission. There are very few applications installed on the same. First when I try to configure something it freezes a lot. There is enough memory available but still it is not giving a speedy action. The page file keeps on growing. The applications which are installed in the system is Outlook, VPN, Exchange, Sharepoint, etc.

It is necessary that you must diagnose before modifying any kind of configuration. Or else there will be problem with the memory limit. I am sure Exchange is the one that is consuming a large amount of virtual memory. You can begin with troubleshooting by checking inside Event Log. There you can find ample of information based on the error. You can try a process monitor type application that will give you more information on ongoing activities with the amount of ram consumed by it.

That's large for an svchost. Please go to Task Manager, Processes tab. Note the PID of the svchost process that's that large (you might have to add PID to the view). Open a CMD prompt and type "tasklist /svc" without the quotes. Find that PID and post back what it says is running under that svchost process. If the svchost process in question includes wuauserv, I'm thinking you might be seeing this problem:

The Automatic Updates service may stop responding : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914810/en-us

However, the fix is probably this one:

FIX: When you run Windows Update to scan for updates that use Windows Installer, including Office updates, CPU utilization may reach 100 percent for prolonged periods : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916089/en-us

Because as Susan Bradley points out, the latter contains a more recent version than the former.