Thread: NTDS Replication: How to remove a replication partner?

NTDS Replication: How to remove a replication partner?

We were running SBS 2003 R2 which was installed with existing domain. There was no problem with the same. Later when we changed the FSMO and GC roles on the server, the original 2003 DC server crashed unfortunately. Anyways, we dint even tried to fix it because we were about to change the entire server, which we did now.

The problem here is after installing the new server, it still tries to replicate with earlier server as noted in AD Sites and Services plug in. When we try to remove the original server it generated and error. So what I want to know is how can I remove all traces from the earlier server on this new one?

Thank you.

Re: NTDS Replication: How to remove a replication partner?

There are few steps you can follow in order to fix the same, here it is:

1. Install the Windows Server Support Tools from CD2 of your SBS Media. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/216498
    2. Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.
    3. At the command prompt, type ntdsutil, and then press ENTER.
    4. Type metadata cleanup, and then press ENTER. Based on the options given, the administrator can perform the removal, but additional configuration parameters must be specified before the removal can occur.
    5. Type connections and press ENTER. This menu is used to connect to the specific server where the changes occur. If the currently logged on user does not have administrative permissions, different credentials can be supplied by specifying the credentials to use before making the connection. To do this, type set creds DomainNameUserNamePassword, and then press ENTER. For a null password, type null for the password parameter.
    6. Type connect to server servername, and then press ENTER. You should receive confirmation that the connection is successfully established. If an error occurs, verify that the domain controller being used in the connection is available and the credentials you supplied have administrative permissions on the server.

of course! thx

Hi i know this was an old post but I am having the same issue only the only server that no longer exists had the same name as the current DC. All the entries look to be correct in DNS and for all FSMO pointing to correct server.

My initial drama came from attempting the migration from sbs 2008 to sbs 2011.
    When doing initial migration scan it told me i was in a journal wrap and was advised to change registry key entry hklm/system/current control set/services/ntfrs/parameters/ i added dword Enable Journal Wrap Automatic Restore with a vaule of 1.

This obviously had a bad influence on the server since then it removed itself from knowing it was the DC.

Any help would be much appreciated.