Thread: Wmiprvse.exe using an average 95% CPU

Wmiprvse.exe using an average 95% CPU

I am facing issue with SBS 2003 SP1 server. I am getting this issue from last couple of weeks. I had seen that Wmiprvse.exe is alone eating around 95% CPU. Due to which the server is working extremely slow. There are number of new problem appeared due to high cpu utilization. A number of additional task like backup, etc are extremely slow. I cannot understand the issue. I had performed windows update also but still the problem is intact. The utilization is started just some days before. While things were working fine. Can any update cause the problem.

re: Wmiprvse.exe using an average 95% CPU

Yes some update can cause the problem. You have to restore old settings. You can try to get old settings back. There is a link below you can check more information on the same. There is a resource manager tool available which will give you more information on cpu usage. Check the link for more information on the issue.

You find high CPU usage for the Wmiprvse.exe process on a terminal server that is running Windows Server 2008 when you run the Windows System Resource Manager

WMI taking 95% of CPU time

I've seen it on many SBS servers.
    It usually happens when the server is gathering statistical data on the system to create reports usage and performance reports.

The same thing happen to my sbs server also. It was working fine but suddenly Wmiprvse.exe started consuming high cpu. The entire server freezes and I was not able to run any other application. I tried to find out the solution but it looks that it is a bit complicated to resolve. After a couple of days new Windows updates were installed and the problem was fixed automatically. There was no issue with the same. There is a hotfix available for the problem which can resolve the problem.

Try to use some different types of system monitoring tool and then check back. It would work fine. Resetting the counters is the only way to get rid of the problem. Monitoring can only give you indication what is rightnow going on. For sometime you can simply stop the service and then start it again. I hope it would reduce the usage. The below link has more information on your issue.

Wmiprvse.exe Process May Generate High CPU Usage

How to disable ,onitoring and reporting

Delete the usage and performance report tasks in the task scheduler under control panel.