Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Small Business Server
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Strange file with a dog icon in the c:\windows\temp folder....

Small Business Server

Old 19-12-2006

Strange file with a dog icon in the c:\windows\temp folder....

There are a couple of strange file with a dog icon in c:\windows\temp folder in some of my clients machine. For some reason they are not getting deleted as well. I have tried finding information related to them but no luck. My clients have SBS 2003 Premium with ISA & Trend Micro CSM but these antiviruses are not able to deal with the files. I just want to know if anyone has come across any file in their system with a dog icon???

Old 19-12-2006

Yes i am aware of those strange file with a dog icon, you cant delete them directly. You will first have to kill the process from Task Manager. I haven't been able to find out the reason for their generation but you can at least delete them for now. I am still looking after a solution for stopping their generation permanently as they come up again in temp folder after some time of deletion.
Old 18-08-2008

Guys the dog file is related to Trend itself. It is related to the OfficeScan Watchdog service on the anti-hacking mode. It keeps an eye on the OfficeScan client services and restarts Watchdog and OfficeScan services at times when they are terminated because of virus attack.

In order to prevent viruses or other malicious threats identify the Watchdog service service and terminate it, the anti-hack mode allows it to have random names. It wont harm your system, its for security purpose, so don't delete it when you see it next time.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Small Business Server
Tags: , ,