Thread: Backup Exec 11d - weird System Account credential failures, maybe SQL issue

Backup Exec 11d - weird System Account credential failures, maybe SQL issue

I’m running a Windows SBS 2003 server fully patched with Sharepoint up'd to SQL and Trend CSM Security 3. Today morning I installed Backup Exec 11d which screwed up everything. After installing the same immediately I received an intermittent credential error. So, I install as per previous versions, including using 'Administrator' and the correct password for the SLA account. After doing this it appeared that the problem is fixed but it was only until the first small backup which gave me the following the error message:

“Authentication failed on connection to the server - make sure that the user account has appropriate perms and that the password was typed correctly.”

Am sure about the correct account and password. Anyways, when I checked the job report, it also says “access is denied to remote agent”. I assumed update can fix the problem and it did bit. I did a LiveUpdate and it brought down a hotfix after which my two next backups were successful but later it was again back to the same problem.

Any help on this ?

Re: Backup Exec 11d - weird System Account credential failures, maybe SQL issue

During the installation were you asked for a User ID and password? If yes, look into the rights of that same user id.

Re: Backup Exec 11d - weird System Account credential failures, maybe SQL issue

Thanks for the reply Diggs. Yes, I was asked for the user/password but that was the Administrator on the server box, so I guess that account has enough rights. Also if I’m not wrong, it would have been everything or nothing if the problem is account related, isn’t it?

I know this is an old thread, but intermittent problems with BE... could it be that your machine was created from a ghost image of another machine, and has a duplicate SID?

BE is one of the few places where imaging a windows box without sysprep can get you into trouble -- it seems to pay attention to the SID, which is no longer unique... you can use Sysinternals MRSID to replace the SID on a machine -- it takes a while, it has to touch every file system object... but it works!

-Kevin