Thread: Error message from Client Setup wizard when new user logs on to client computer

Error message from Client Setup wizard when new user logs on to client computer

I have got SBS 2003 with SP1 installed recently. We have also created a new user and have tried to log him on to a client pc which is windows xp with service pack 2. When we do this then we are getting the below error:

"The system cannot copy a file from the server to this computer. Make sure that the network cables and devices are plugged in and fuctioning properly and try again to join to this computer network"

RE: Error message from Client Setup wizard when new user logs on to client computer

Follow the below steps and see if that works, try to join a workgroup:
    First of all click on start > My Computer(right click) > Properties > Computer Name tab> Change.
    After that the computer Restarts.
    Now to rejoin the domain: http://servername/connectcomputer
    And then follow the Wizard.

Re: Error message from Client Setup wizard when new user logs on to client computer

I have solved the problem, it was due to a firewall issue. Thanks for the reply anyways.

I'm having the same error, but here it is on most (if not all) of the PCs in the company.

I followed Steven's steps above. The client's F28193FE-08F8-4eae-B714-D425838F46FE registry key already has the correct value (which is 1, the same as the refcount on the server).

I followed the additional steps, and the one that worked for me was putting a 'pause' line in the logon batch file. That stops the errors, but it requires users to press a key (which they'd rather not have to do). To try and avoid this, I've tried, in place of 'pause', different commands to add a delay. I've tried 'ping -n 30 -w 1000 0.0.0.1 > NUL' and 'choice /d y /t 30 > nul', and even with a 30 second delay, I still get the error messages after that 30 seconds.

Does anyone know why 'pause' works, but neither of the other commands do? Is there another command I can use?

I'd be very grateful for some help on this.