Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Small Business Server
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Error 170 - Could not start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service on Local Computer.

Small Business Server

Old 21-06-2006

Error 170 - Could not start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service on Local Computer.

I am getting a problem when I am starting the server just as it shows the logon screen it also pops up a message saying that a driver or service could not be started, check the below event logs for details:

"Could not start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service on Local Computer. Error 170: The requested resource is in use."

If I go to the services and try to start this service myself then it will give me that same error 170 as stated above. I think that its a firewall issue or some conflict relating to something. I tried to run the CEICW wizard many times, sometimes including/removing - Remote Connectivity, VPN, Allowing access to companyweb over the net, etc. Also, this server was absolutely fine until I had to do a partial fresh install and then restore it from the backup tape. Ever since then it has started to give me that error. Is there anyone who can help me out? thanks.

Old 21-06-2006

RE: Error 170 - Could not start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service on Local Computer.

I think that you will need to try to configure DNS for Internet access in Windows Server 2003. There is a step-by-step guide that describes how to configure Domain Name System (DNS) for Internet access in the Windows Server2003 products. DNS is the core name resolution tool that is used on the Internet. DNS handles resolution between host names and Internet addresses. Follow the method given here - http://support.microsoft.com/?id=323380
Old 22-06-2006

Re: Error 170 - Could not start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service on Local Computer.

I must have posted earlier in my post that this is SBS 2003 Standard version, so it doesnt have the ISA as far as I know. Thanks for the reply
Old 16-07-2010

You can try to set up Windows Small Business Server 2003 for Internet access by reading from here - http://support.microsoft.com/?id=825763

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows Server > Small Business Server