Thread: error using admt sbs 2003

error using admt sbs 2003

Until now we were running Windows SBS 2000 and now ready to migrate it to SBS 2003 but there is a small problem. I’m comfortably able to access both systems via IP in Windows Explorer but when I try using Active Directory Migration Tool, it wont communicate. As per the steps mentioned in Microsoft migration guide, I started with User migrations but as soon as I click Next after selecting source and target domains, it gives me the following error message:

"The program cannot open the required dialog box because no locations can be found. Close this message, and try again."

When I close this error box, a new box appears saying me this: "Failed to initialize object picker for the source domain." I don’t know what are we missing. Any help would be appreciated.

RE: error using admt sbs 2003

Most probably the error occurs because of Single-Label domain. Anyways, just follow the below steps and see if it helps:

Make sure the following registry keys are available on the target Windows SBS 2003 server (where ADMT locates):
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netlogon\Parameters
    And add the following Reg_Dword value:
    AllowSingleLabelDnsDomain
    If yes, you can also change its value to 0x1. It is mentioned the Microsoft Migration Guide as well. After this simply install ADMT on the source Windows SBS 2000 server and start the migration process.

Let me know if you face that error again.

Re: error using admt sbs 2003

I had exactly the same problem. Just wanted to say a massive thank you for the resolution you gave (Reg Edit).

Much Apprieciated!! Thanks!!

I'm trying to do a SBS Migration from 2003 to 2008 using a different domain name. I found a blog on Microsoft's technet site that states specifically what to do. However one of the first steps is to resolve both domains from both servers in which I'm finding difficult. I have setup forwarders on both servers as directed by the guide. When I go to the comand prompt and try to ping gjra.local on the SBS 2003 server I get an error stating ping request could not find host. However when I ping the IP of the server I'm able to getr ping requests. I think there is something wrong with the SBS 2003 server resolving the domain name. Any ideas?

Well there is no way to migrate from SBS 2003 to SBS 2008 using a different Domain name. Also There is no possibility regarding AD. For more info on this, you can check the following article:

SBS 2003 to SBS 2008 Migration to a Different Domain Name: http://blogs.technet.com/sbs/archive...main-name.aspx