Thread: network connection problems after Windows updates

network connection problems after Windows updates

I am facing a problem with my server. After applying the updates I am getting a problem with the connectivity. The updates which were installed in my systems are KB951748,
    KB951746, and KB948110. This are the most recent updates that were installed and now there is a problem with lan connectivity. It is not at all working. The pc fails to connect with any system in the network and it is really very annoying. I hope there will be some way to deal with the problem.

Does your system has zonealarm installed in your system. If yes then this is one of the most common issue with that. You will need to remove it and then check back again. I had got the same kind of issue and windows update was not at all responsible for the problem. It is a bit annoying to find such basic issue on Windows server. But it is fixable. If you are not having zonealarm then you can try out one more thing. You can simply disable your security application and check back again.

I am too having the same kind of problem. The problem lies with updates that are applied recently. I am sure that the security application in the system is not at all causing the problem. After applying new updates the problem was with MSSQLSERVER service. It failed to work and there was constant error related to that configuration database. Later on I found more issues like the sql failed to run. The IIS was on the isolation mode and the account does not has permission to access the sql database. Any idea how to deal with the issue.

The issue is only due to Zone Alarm. It is the only one which is causing the block and you have to download a dns patch for the same. You can find that on Windows update. Sometime some security updates can cause the failure and generate this kind of bugs. You can try removing the updates and then disabling the security application. Later on run the updates and if you face the problem one more time then the issue lies with some buggy windows update.

I will also stick with the issue of turning off the antivirus application for sometime and then checking it back. I am sure it will work. It is not necessary that you install each and every update. It is better if you remain choosy with the same. A number of windows update which is installed in the system is useless and never works. And sometime there is a problem with some internal driver or service which cause the failure. Before going for any major changes try to update your lan driver and check back.

I think updating drivers can fix the problem. It is correctly mentioned above. The antivirus can be a culprit behind that but it is recommended that you must first go with driver configuration. It allows you to work on lower level. Go in Device Manager and just check whether the lan adapter is working or not. Is there any warning sigh. Most of the time if there is a problem with the drivers, you can clearly find warning signs in device manager. You can also try to re-install the lan adapter back from that place.

Did you installed SP4 patch in your system. You must remove the same. Because I do not think you do not need a SP4 updates. It is better if you stick with SP3.I think it is one of the most compatible update with SQL and it works really well. There are available patches that can fix the problem. You will need to downgrade the patches that you had installed and it can generate more problems.

Well.. no love for me on this one.

Something similar happened over here. At 3:03AM tuesday night the server hosting Sharepoint 3 starting throwing errors saying that the STS_Config database login issue could not be found and that the Login from NETWORK SERVICE failed to log in.

Now up to this point Sharepoint has been running very SMOOTHLY. So I checked what had changed and noticed the update. After a bit of research I landed here. Decided to remove the update in the hopes of things working again. Nope... still no Sharepoint.

I have to beleive it is related to the update KB951748, no other reason I can see for Sharepoint to stop working. It is pretty safe to say I am rather annoyed at this point.

I am facing a bit different problem. My system was working well till last night. I am using Windows Vista SP1. The updates were better and there was no problem with the same. The system is SBS 2003. Later on the lan stopped working. So I removed some of the most recently installed updated and restarted the pc. There was no fix at all. I had tried to add some updates manually and still nothing happened. So this is a clear that the problem does not lies with windows update.

Has anyone tried to update drivers after running windows update. That would be one of the best way I think to fix the problem. It is necessary that you must update the driver. Some old updates might be causing crash due to which you are getting the problem. There can be some set of internal files which are colliding with the lan drivers. So you must first check out the settings that whether it disable or not.

Kb950582

I had the same problem after I downloaded all 5 Windows updates last night. I uninstalled KB950582 and internet connectivity was restored.

Worked with the computer all day and thought I would try downloading KB950582 again. This time it works and there are no issues.

Maybe downloading all 5 at once created a conflict. Dunno.

Anyway...hope this solution works for you.

Susan; I KNOW it was installed. What I mean is that it is my opinion that the errors are directly related to the installation of this update.

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Bradley View Post
    Don't "have to believe" check add/remove programs and see if it got
    installed.

Even I am trying to contact microsoft support for the same reason but till yet not able to find out any working solution on the same. It is a bit annoying to find that after performing updates the system has this kind of problem. Everything was working well before updates. There was no issue at all. It has been a bit complicated to find the resolution and formatting the system, installing all from scratch is another annoying thing.