Thread: Advice on Migration of Data and Information from Windows Server

Advice on Migration of Data and Information from Windows Server

I am looking for some advice on data migration and documentation if possible. I had noticed that many time where there is suddenly movement or changes the thing which is most affected is data migration. It is not easier make all stuff fix at the end moment. So I made this thread to ensure that we all can get a set of advice and documentation on migration of data in Windows server. It had seen that there are number of features provided by Windows to migrate your data from once pc to another. To some extent that is much helpful. What I am looking is data migration while upgrading Windows Server. But not relying on the default feature it become important to ensure that you get the proper data migrated to system.

Re: Advice on Migration of Data and Information from Windows Server

Yes it is right that to get all the data accumulated in the end is a hectic job. I had messed with 4 pc system where 5th one was the server. We had a renovation job where everything needs to be shifted at a particular place for sometime. Also migration is applicable when you are going to upgrade your system. What matters is that the data is delivered properly without any loss. So the first thing which I did always is transferring a backup in the nas storage. It is become easier to pull up all stuff back again even when you have no hard drive of existing system. MSN Blog offers a documentation on Preparing to Migrate to Windows SBS 2011 Standard. This documentation deals with standard migration policies. It is always worth to have a ready documentation with you. I will recommend you to have a print of the same and use it as the time of need.

Migration process consist of two things. First preparing for migration and second initiating the migration. Preparing stuff consist of process of accumulating all your hardware and other stuff where the data exist. Initiating consist of software level interference to run the migration.

There is a migration guide on Microsoft site. I think that can help you. That is usually a advance guide which consist of each and every aspect of advance migration stuff. But I can share my experience here for the migration process. In right terms migration means you are upgrading the version of Windows Server. You had mentioned on your question that you are basically interested in data migration. That is too possible. But in my views that is not really needed. Windows Sever has option to backup all stuff you want. You can backup the data, user accounts, policies, software ,etc. Here I will provide you information on migrating data when you are upgrading your operating system. There are certain things which are involved in migration at the time of upgrade. That consist of a source server first. This is the existing server where you have the current settings and data. Second comes destination server. This is the new system or server or pc where you want to move your settings or data. All you need is to install Windows Server on migration mode. The migration mode ask you to provide details of settings and data. This is really good for replicating data on multiple servers.