Thread: SBS 2008 Backup not seeing drives.

Hello,

It was all working. c:, d:, e: and f: drives all backed up. Now e: and f: where I keep all data are not listed as having been backed up. They are only listed as resources. No backup history shows them since then. It has been a problem for some time.

I was looking for a way to start all over but cannot see any way of cancelling backup once configured.
    ------------------------
    Thanks for your time.

Re: SBS 2008 Backup not seeing drives.

You can run the SBS Backup Wizard. And in that choose do not use SBS backup. This will disable your old backup settings. Now you can reconfigure new backup back again. I had provided a link which gives you complete guide how to properly configure Windows SBS 2008 backup and also configure various settings. Also the wizard has option by which you can change the current backup settings. You have to just click on Modify backup settings thats all.

SBS 2008 Backup

Thank you. I now see a solution. I have one sort of related issue which really needs solving before I go ahead and it is this:

When I loaded SBS 2008 onto the HP server I had configured a RAID 1 but there was a drive (now system D:) in the machine which the OS has for some reason put the boot software on it which I understand I cannot easily move (drag) to C: else the OS will not boot!. How can I move the boot files on the D: drive to C:? Now when I do a backup D: is not included.
    ------------------------
    Thanks for your time.

Windows SBS 2008 can also recognize multiple external drives that are connected to the server at the same time. However, the server can only perform a backup to the external drive that is identified in the Windows SBS Console as the Active drive. The server identifies a connected drive that is not the Active drive as Online. If a configured backup drive is not connected to the server, it is identified as Offline. Best Practices for Backing Up and Restoring Server Data can be viewed over here.

Thanks CleverManLicensedToKill(!); I indeed do have two USB drives which I rotate for backup and that works fine. The drives D:(160GByte) on board discete one and E: F: are partitions on the RAID pair. It's drive D: which holds the boot files for some reason.
    ------------------------
    Thanks for your time.

Well, I've run it as suggested but even though I was able to select all the drives this is the result:

1. in the SBS console the backup result still only shows C: and D: as being backed up. Under properties - Backup History it also shows e: anf f:. Under Properties - Backup Items it still only shows C: and D:.

2. In the Administrative Tools - Windows Backup screens in the main screen the bottom left Sheduled Backup only shows C: and D: but if I double click the newly configure successful backup it shows all drives.

So what do I believe? And how do I reset this anomaly?

More advice appreciated.
    ------------------------
    Thanks for your time.

It might be that a removable disk management service needs to be stopped and started again ? Can you test that. If it works, set a scheduled task to run before your backup, to restart the removable disk mangement service. Or else the only solution would be a script that can restart the backup exec media services prior to the backiup jobs kicking off.

I have just checked at the last backup and whereas the first backup after reseting everything was OK (E: and F: included) it has now gone to C: and D: only. I have looked for a removable disk management service but cannot see anything looking remotely like such a service. The server has been restarted so it's not something which can come back that way. I have done a manual backup and that worked. Does the system think that E: and F: have no incremental changes perhaps and doesn't change them?
    ------------------------
    Thanks for your time.

Attached a list of services running. Hope that helps. Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    ------------------------
    Thanks for your time.