Thread: Windows 7 Folder Redirection

Windows 7 Folder Redirection

I need some help with folder redirection. I had not done this before, but with some easy steps it would be easier for me. I had done this once on Windows XP. There are some clients which has Windows 7 and it looks that the settings for the same is missing. I am not able to find out any appropriate steps that would really work. I am working on Windows SBS 2008. I had seen that if the settings are not proper there are bugs constantly.

It is not a complicated process. You will need to run a wizard for that and then check back it will work fine for not. The wizard will help you to setup a group policy that would allow you to manage the settings. Just check out for the wizard. But still I giving you some references below that can help you. You can check out each link and find out the way of folder redirection on SBS.

Folder Redirection feature in Windows
    Folder Redirection

Re: Windows 7 Folder Redirection

Well, as far as I can tell it's applied and should work, but doesn't. I'm not seeing anything in the Application log relating to my user account and folder redirection. The policy should redirect to \\sbs08\RedirectedDocuments but does not.

C:\Users\wrightd>gpresult /R

Microsoft (R) Windows (R) Operating System Group Policy Result tool v2.0
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. 1981-2001

Created On 6/21/2010 at 11:45:37 PM

RSOP data for N0XPD\wrightd on DUSTINDEAKTOP : Logging Mode
    ------------------------------------------------------------

OS Configuration: Member Workstation
    OS Version: 6.1.7600
    Site Name: Default-First-Site-Name
    Roaming Profile: N/A
    Local Profile: C:\Users\wrightd
    Connected over a slow link?: No

COMPUTER SETTINGS
    ------------------
    CN=DUSTINDEAKTOP,OU=SBSComputers,OU=Computers,OU=MyBusiness,DC=n0xpd,DC=loca
    l
    Last time Group Policy was applied: 6/21/2010 at 11:03:53 PM
    Group Policy was applied from: SBS08.n0xpd.local
    Group Policy slow link threshold: 500 kbps
    Domain Name: N0XPD
    Domain Type: Windows 2000

Applied Group Policy Objects
    -----------------------------
    Windows SBS CSE Policy
    Rename Admin and Guest Accts
    Windows SBS Client - Windows Vista Policy
    Windows SBS Client Policy
    Default Domain Policy
    Local Group Policy

The following GPOs were not applied because they were filtered out
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Disable Windows 7 Power Save
    Filtering: Not Applied (Empty)

Windows SBS Client - Windows XP Policy
    Filtering: Denied (WMI Filter)
    WMI Filter: Windows SBS Client - Windows XP

The computer is a part of the following security groups
    -------------------------------------------------------

To troubleshoot Folder Redirection problems, try one or all of the following:

a. Verify that the folder redirection path specified by the administrator is valid and accessible. If the target paths are longer than the set limit, you need to make them shorter (look at the event log to see if
    the path length exceeds permitted number of characters). If the path to the folder does not exist (for example if the path specification is mistyped in the policy setting, if folders in the path have been
    renamed or removed, or if the server is unavailable), Folder Redirection will fail.

b. Verify that the user has appropriate permissions to create folders at the redirected location and that there is adequate free disk space to create the redirected folders. If disk quotas are applied,
    adjust the quotas to ensure the user has the required disk space required.

However, if the problem continues, to look for more clues to narrow down the issue, please confirm the following information.

Can you run "gpupdate /force" to force GPO applied to Windows 7 computer successfully? If not, what's the error message you got?

On the Windows 7 machine where GPO failed to apply, please perform the following steps to enable and check UserENV log files:

a) Userenv Logging
    Because Userenv tracks the Group Policy engine and registry-based Group Policy, it is the most frequently used log file for Group Policy troubleshooting. Most of the questions that RSoP answers, are
    in the userenv log. To use userenv.log you need to first enable verbose logging.
    To enable verbose logging
    1. Log onto the client computer as the administrator and run Regedit.
    2. Locate the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon.
    3. Right click Winlogon, select New, and then click DWORD Value.
    4. Enter the following name for the DWORD Value: UserEnvDebugLevel.
    5. Enter 30002 as the hexadecimal value. This writes the userenv into userenv.log, located in the \%windir%\debug directory.
    6. Then on the problematic Win7 machine, run "gpupdate /force" to ensure a full listing of total Group Policy processing.

Now, restart the computer and look carefully into the "UserEnv.log" file under "%windir%\debug\usermode\" to see if there is any detailed messages recorded about applying the folder redirection
    policy.

hi,

I have similar problem with folde redirection see userenv.log below
    GPSVC(1ec.b58) 13:54:09:133 CheckGPOs: No GPO changes but couldn't read extension Group Policy Device Settings's status or policy time.
    GPSVC(1ec.b58) 13:54:09:133 ProcessGPOs: Extension Group Policy Device Settings skipped because both deleted and changed GPO lists are empty.
    GPSVC(1ec.b58) 13:54:09:133 ProcessGPOs: -----------------------
    GPSVC(1ec.b58) 13:54:09:133 ProcessGPOs: Processing extension Folder Redirection
    GPSVC(1ec.b58) 13:54:09:133 CompareGPOLists: The lists are the same.
    GPSVC(1ec.b58) 13:54:09:133 CheckGPOs: No GPO changes but couldn't read extension Folder Redirection's status or policy time.
    GPSVC(1ec.b58) 13:54:09:133 ProcessGPOs: Extension Folder Redirection skipped because both deleted and changed GPO lists are empty.

Quote Originally Posted by fazza View Post
    hi,

I have similar problem with folde redirection see userenv.log below
    GPSVC(1ec.b58) 13:54:09:133 CheckGPOs: No GPO changes but couldn't read extension Group Policy Device Settings's status or policy time.
    GPSVC(1ec.b58) 13:54:09:133 ProcessGPOs: Extension Group Policy Device Settings skipped because both deleted and changed GPO lists are empty.
    GPSVC(1ec.b58) 13:54:09:133 ProcessGPOs: -----------------------
    GPSVC(1ec.b58) 13:54:09:133 ProcessGPOs: Processing extension Folder Redirection
    GPSVC(1ec.b58) 13:54:09:133 CheckGPOs: No GPO changes but couldn't read extension Folder Redirection's status or policy time.
    GPSVC(1ec.b58) 13:54:09:133 ProcessGPOs: Extension Folder Redirection skipped because both deleted and changed GPO lists are empty.
    It seems that in your scenario, it's an incorrect settings issue. No need to check GPSVC log. Anyway, I have searched for the possible entries, according to the GUID of Security CSE, the following policies may include unwanted settings, please check them from GPMC.

EINSTEIN_007,

I really have no idea what your talking about, how would I know which settings are unwanted?

can we get back to basics, I've enabled Folder Redirection in the SBS console so that desktop and My documents are saved on the server.
    This is not working so where do I go from here?

Quote Originally Posted by fazza View Post
    EINSTEIN_007,

I really have no idea what your talking about, how would I know which settings are unwanted?

can we get back to basics, I've enabled Folder Redirection in the SBS console so that desktop and My documents are saved on the server.
    This is not working so where do I go from here?
    You can read for a start if folder redirection is not working from here - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../gg680331.aspx

Hi all,

Folder redirection is now working, these links are really useful.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../gg680331.aspx
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...(v=WS.10).aspx

Thank you everyone