Thread: Windows Small Business Server 2008 ClientAgent: WTH is it and why does it keep installing.

Windows Small Business Server 2008 ClientAgent: WTH is it and why does it keep installing.

We are having a SBS 2008 box with several client users connected. Don’t know why every time our users restart or Log off and login again, the Small Business Server 2008 ClientAgent gets installed automatically. Now the surprising part here is that thought it gets installed successfully, next time when user try login in again, the installation starts again. Very annoying.

Can anyone please tell me what exactly is Small Business Server 2008 ClientAgent used for? Is the any documentation available regarding the working activity of this agent?

Re: Windows Small Business Server 2008 ClientAgent: WTH is it and why does it keep installing.

I wanted to know whether you are experiencing the SBS installer which is called by the default logon script? If Yes, then you should simply remove the same. Try doing and see if it works fine. Apart from this if you have migrated from SBS 2003 than you should of course remove it.

By the way can you tell me what exactly you see when the workstations log in?

Re: Windows Small Business Server 2008 ClientAgent: WTH is it and why does it keep installing.

Thank you for the reply friend. Nope, I have never migrated it from 2003, its completely separate. The GPO is "Windows SBS CSE Policy" and it is applied and enforced to domain controllers, SBS Computers, SBSServers. Here are the startup scripts:

Name Parameters
    \\domain.local\SysVol\domain.local\ClientAgent\ClientAgent.vbs
    \\domain.local\SysVol\domain.local\ClientAgent\machine\sbslogon.exe SBSCSE32
    \\domain.local\SysVol\domain.local\ClientAgent\machine\clientagentx86.msi
    X86
    \\domain.local\SysVol\domain.local\ClientAgent\ClientAgent.vbs
    \\domain.local\SysVol\domain.local\ClientAgent\machine\sbslogon.exe SBSCSE64
    \\domain.local\SysVol\domain.local\ClientAgent\machine\clientagentamd64.msi
    X64
    Any further help will be appreciated.