Thread: SBS 2008 updates - "Configuring updates: Stage 1 of 3 - 0% complete

SBS 2008 updates - "Configuring updates: Stage 1 of 3 - 0% complete

We recently did a fresh install of SBS 2008, configured 25 users with client workstations. Everything worked fine for the first day, next day when we started the server, windows update started automatically and there was a message saying “Configuring updates: Stage 1 of 3 - 0% complete. Do not turn off your computer.” Problem is that the message was stuck as it is for the next two hours until I manually restarted the system. But the message appeared again and stuck.

I tried searching for some help in MS Knowledge base and came across KB949358, which says I need to rename pending.xml and remove key - HLKM\Offline Components\AdvancedInstallersNeedResolving
    and HKLM\Offline Components\PendingXmlIdentifier. Well I did exactly as mentioned, system restarted but now the screen looks like booted in Safe Mode. However all users are able to connect the server and work fine.

But this is not the proper solution right? Screen should not be like safe mode screen. Will this get fix if I do a clean re-install of SBS ? Or is there any other fix for the same? Thanks for helps.

RE: SBS 2008 updates - "Configuring updates: Stage 1 of 3 - 0% complet

As per the situation you posted above, I think the problem is with server’s network connection because clients are able to connect to the Internet, but not the server itself. So what you need to do is rerun CEICW wizard. It will fix up everything in the network configuration. Also try doing IPconfig /all, also recheck if the NIC is well configured and DNS are right.

RE: SBS 2008 updates - "Configuring updates: Stage 1 of 3 - 0% com

Thanks for the help friend. Meanwhile I tried running BPA which reported some problems with my router and suggested me to open some ports. Well I fixed up the router accordingly and opened the ports but still was getting the same problem. Somehow, during this period my internet started working on server and all services as well. But Exchange was still not starting up. We have planned to restart the server later today see where we go from there.

RE: SBS 2008 updates - "Configuring updates: Stage 1 of 3 - 0% com

If you had ever disabled IPv6 protocol from your network interface card on your Windows SBS 2008 server you may see the following issues after a
    reboot:

1. Microsoft Exchange services fail to start
    2. Server hangs at "Applying Computer Settings..." (can eventually logon after 30 - 60 minutes)
    3. Network icons show as offline
    4. Some or all of the following events

SBS 2008 is designed to fully support IPv6 and has IPv6 enabled by default. Most users should never need to disable IPv6, however if you must disable
    IPv6 here is how to disable it properly:

Re: SBS 2008 updates - "Configuring updates: Stage 1 of 3 - 0% complete

Where did u find the article..... as i cannot find pending.xml file on my server?

Please help urgently.

Re: SBS 2008 updates - "Configuring updates: Stage 1 of 3 - 0% complete

Quote Originally Posted by riaanit View Post
    Where did u find the article..... as i cannot find pending.xml file on my server?

Please help urgently.
    Can you try to run this tool: Description of the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Server 2008 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821. What Windows Update installation errors can the System Update Readiness Tool potentially address? The following table lists error messages that you might receive when you try to install a software update.