Thread: SBS 2008 - SQL sa password

SBS 2008 - SQL sa password

This is SBS 2008 Standard server box which is running without any problems. Due to some reason I want to install Bit Defender server and use the default installation of SQL instead of loading SQL Express. While doing so it is asking for SQL sa password which is unknown for me. I tried the alternate which is using Windows Logon from where I can either edit or create a new SA user but here I get security errors.

So i wanted to know how can I get the sa password for the default installation of SQL on my server? Please help.

Re: SBS 2008 - SQL sa password

There are few steps you can follow to reset the sa password. As the procedure is bit long, I’m providing you the following url http://blog.angells.com/2011/02/how-...-password.html. See if it helps.

I’m not sure but I guess the latest SQL installation routines generate a random password for the sa account. Also if am not wrong sa account use to be disabled on SQL2005 and SQL2008 be default and the reason is OOB configuration is "Windows Authentication." So just try right click properties, status and enable the sa account from your admin login. Let me know the results.

You can reset the sa password with sql password reset tool, like MS SQL Server Password Unlocker. you can change sql password instantly.

Forgot MS SQL Server SA password? SmartKey SQL Password Recovery is a professional MS SQL Server password reset utility. It can easily help you reset lost or forgotten user and administrator passwords from MS SQL Server 2008/2005/2000 password-protected database master .mdf file in a minute without data loss.

You can change your SQL Server SA Login password by log in into it using the account of member of sysadmin role and reset the password. Change the password of SA account as described below:
    • Login into the SQL Server by using your Windows Authentication.
    • Go to Object Explorer > Security folder > Logins folder.
    • Right Click on SA account and select the Properties option.
    • Here you can change the SA password, and confirm it. Finally click on OK.
    • Once you have completed the process, restart the SQL Server and all its services.
    • After restarting check whether the new password is working well and whether you are able to log into system using SA login and new password.