Thread: how to set up a small business network

how to set up a small business network

Hi All,

I'm very new to network but I'm very interested in learning how to setup a small business network.

What I have at the moment :

- 1 PC running windows 2003 as a domain controller and DNS, I install DHCP, Active Directory etc.

- 1 desktop and 2 Laptops running winxp pro(maybe more if I successfully configure!)

- Adsl 2+ modem router

What I would like to achieve are:
    - Connecting all pcs(desktop and laptops) to the server and allow the server remotely control all the pcs(maybe perform some updates, software configuration, etc)
    - Install MS outlook 2007 in all pcs connected and managed by the exchange server if possible.

However, I have no idea how to configure the server and other pcs. I have register a domain to use but I don't know how to use it during my network setup.

Since I'm really new to this area, I would like to get some help in achieving the goals mentioned above. Would anyone kindly give step by step directions?

Many many many thanks for your attention!!!!!!

Elvis

Re: how to set up a small business network

There are some set of manuals that are available online which you can use to configure or set the setup. It is not complicated but whatever you do it is recommended to go with new version only. That is the only best way to deal with issue. If you on technet there are ample of article available that would guide how to perform a setup. There are set of different ways to create your own small network and manage data transfer stuff.

It is better to get some advice from expert. It would offer you more guideline on option that you need. In my advice it is necessary that you must understand all the aspect of network. There must be no chances of mistake. There are possibilities that you may miss some settings which would generate more problems. There are set of ebooks which are available online that can give you proper direction in dealing with the issue that you are facing.

According to me you must use the actual server and upgrading hardware is one of the most costly thing that appear. The budget exceed the limit sometime that generate problem. When you are going for server configuration it is necessary that you buy proper hardware or else the performance will be degraded. You can create a test environment and work on the same. In test environment you will get ample of options to deal with different settings and manage the network stuff.

There are few books available which can guide you more on the same. The best benefit of working on a test server is that you do not need to worry about bugs and error. You can perform clean installation a number of time and it works fine. If you deal with any problem you can start working on the configuration from scratch and it works really. There are some set of ebooks that would guide you more on fixing the problem. There are set of helpful videos that are available on web which offer you configuration of the same from scratch.