SBS 2003 to Server 2008 (standard)
Hi, we are running SBS 2003 R1 since long time. There is no problem with the server or workstations. We just want to now migrate it to 2008 Standard. Hence I wanted to what is the best way to migrate from SBS 2003 (R1) directly to 2008 Standard?
Many thanks in advance.
It is possible to Migrate SBS 2003 R1 to 2008 but if you think of upgrade, that is not possible. You will also need to update the latest service pack. You can get the step by step guide and all required information in this Microsoft Migration documentation: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sbs/gg981878.aspx
Hello Elettra, here is how I did the migration successfully:
1. Add the new 2008 server as a member server in the existing SBS 2003 domain.
2. Run adprep on the SBS to update the AD schema.
3. Add Domain Controller to current domain
4. Add Exchange server to the current domain.
5. Add Security Server to current domain
6. Promote 2008 DC to domain controller in current domain.
7. Install .NET 1.0
8. Install ExPRA
9. Run Exchange best practices analyzer
10. ServerManagerCmd -i powershell
11. ServerManagerCmd -i RSAT-ADDS
12. Install IIS, and compatibility add-ons for new exchange server
13. Transition mailboxes to the new server.
14. Transition FSMO roles from SBS 2003 to 2008 server including naming master
15. Redirect Inbound Mail to the Exchange 2007 server
16. Move public folders the Exchange 2007 server
17. Migrate DNS server
18. Finalize Exchange Server Migration
19. Move a CA to a Different Computer
20. Change login scripts
21. Move group policies etc. to 2008 server.
22. Change the domain controller that Exchange 2007 connects to
23. Remove SBS 2003 server from domain.
Re: SBS 2003 to Server 2008 (standard)
I am having similar issues migrating SBS2003 to a 2008 Server R2 standard.
I have transferred all FSMO roles over to the 2008 Server. As well as, DHCP and DNS. There is no need for me to setup or migrate Exchange settings since my client is no longer using exchange. When I shut off the SBS 2003 Serve.r AD on the 2008 Server errors out. Basically it's saying that the domain cannot be located or that it does not exist. So there is obviously something that I have forgotten. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Also it doesn't look like the SYSVOL Folder has transferred correctly either.
|Tags: migrate, sbs 2003, server 2008|
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Similar Threads for: "SBS 2003 to Server 2008 (standard)"|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Upgrading from Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard 32bit to Windows Server 2008 Standard 64 bit||punchk||Windows Server Help||2||28-10-2010 01:56 PM|
|sbs 2003 upgrade to standard server 2008 on same computer||bozoman1||Operating Systems||2||23-08-2010 11:15 PM|
|Migrating SBS 2003 to 2008 Standard R2||techsquared||Small Business Server||3||20-07-2010 09:31 PM|
|Upgrade from SBS 2003 to Windows Server 2003 Standard||Tahseen Shahzad||Small Business Server||5||11-01-2010 03:42 PM|
|Migration from SBS 2003 to 2008 Standard||pushpendra||Small Business Server||3||05-10-2008 11:10 PM|