Thread: SBS 2008 Fax Server role, no fax connection

SBS 2008 Fax Server role, no fax connection

I have installed Fax Server role and Print Server and everything installed without any error. In the fax control console, my fax modem was detected and set up as a device. The issue is a local fax printer connection that did not get created in the printer page according to Technet. I dont have anything to share about, but there is no shared fax to connect to on the network. When I am trying to create an account from a Vista workstation as a member of the Fax Administrator group, I point to the \\server as my fax server and get a message that I do not have permissions and to see my network administrator. My account is also a member of the domain admins. Any help would be welcomed.

Re: SBS 2008 Fax Server role, no fax connection

I am having the sam problem where the fax printer is not created. Has anyone found a solution for this yet?

I too am having the same problems. I did find that the server is able to receive faxes no problem.
    When I try to run the fax configuration wizard from the SBS Console, I get a error saying "powershell pipeline returned and error. please consult your log file for further details". I am unable to find a log with more information.
    Please Help :'(

I am replying to this old thread in the hope that someone has found a solution to this problem?

I have a little more information regarding this problem.
    There is a log file for the Fax role installations (C:\Program Files\Windows Small Business Server\Logs\FaxCW.log).

Here is the error I am getting

[396] 100914.114331.5840: General: ShareFaxPrinter - OpenPrinter() failed: 1801. Retrying in seconds. (Another message will be logged if it still fail after retries timeout)

It tries seven times then fails with the error below

[396] 100914.114333.5972: AdminTME: Win32Exception caught in sharing the fax printer: System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: ShareFaxPrinter - OpenPrinter() failed ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The printer name is invalid

I have been unable to find any solution on the internet. I have tried reinstalling the fax role, removing and installing the fax service and the repair fax option under SBS console (advanced)

None of this has resolved the problem. The repair fax option comes back to report if fails and to check the event logs for details, however there are no event log created.

I hope this extra infomation is of use.
    Last edited by DeanS; 15-09-2010 at 02:20 PM.

It seems the Fax modem/printer has some problems. Have you tried uninstall and install the fax modem?
    1. Please use Administrator account and open the "Phone and Modem Options" in the Control Panel to remove and reinstall the fax modem and also check the advanced properties of the modem.

Is it compatible with 64bit version SBS 2008 server or installed 64bit modem driver?

2. Please make sure the modem support 64bit Windows 2008 server and has compatible driver installed.

Have you tried "Repair the Fax Service" or "Uninstall the Fax Service" SBS Device console?

3. If the issue persists, please try to use "Repair the Fax Service" or "Uninstall the Fax Service" to see if there is any change there.

I had already tried what you have suggested but none of these steps resolved the problem.

I have however fortunately stumbled across a solution. I found some information about this happening if a fax printer already exists on the server (normally due to fax printer being mapped from a terminal connections) when you add the fax server role.

The solution was to remove the fax printer then use the Windows Fax Scan program on the server to send a fax. When you click the send fax button it initiated the setup wizard which creates the fax printer.

While I did not have any fax printers on the server I did have a PDF Xchanger printer and a XPS printer. After removing these printers and running the Fax setup wizard the Fax printer was created on my server.