Thread: What's the best antivirus solution for SBS 2008?

What's the best antivirus solution for SBS 2008?

I am looking for a good antivirus for Windows SBS 2008. I am not having any idea about applying a corporate level solution that really works. I had seen some threads in this forum which showed that Trend Worry is good, but it cause a major performance failure in Windows Server. I am looking for a antivirus that can provide me good security but also on the same hand it must not affected the performance. There will be more than 100 clients connected to the server.

Trend is good but for that you will need to install a old version. Not the new one. But still you can test. I had seen my friend using Trend 5.1 and it works well but there is a little difference in the performance. There are some settings that you can disable and enhance and output. For server level system you need a good set of antivirus that can offer you security with easy management options. You can check out more on the web. There are number of antivirus, but very few of them are optimized to deliver performance with security.

It is a common problem with antivirus. They slow down the system and there is nothing you can do. You will need to check out the user permissions here. You must know the complete settings of antivirus, what type of features, consumes what amount of system resources. I am also using Trend. It is some 2.0 version. Recently on our old branch we had upgraded to new edition and the server was slow. It was not working well. So it is necessary to choose the right antivirus for server.

It is best if you run all the applications like a antivirus in virtual platform instead of running that in management OS. That would give you a bit enhancement in the performance and also it is easy to change the antivirus. You can test your system with some trail tools that are available for free download for limited period. It is bad that Windows server does not comes with any internal security. First of all if you keep your server updated with all latest patches and windows update the system does not need a antivirus. Also there must be not interference. That means do not keep on installing or removing apps.

I had seen a number of people suggest to use antivirus on virtual mode. But don't you think that would need more system resources. Compared to older edition Virtualization is more appropriate in Windows Server 2008. Rightnow I am also using Trend 5.1 and it looks to be working fine. Therei s no issue with that. There are very few or you can say no trusted antivirus available. So go with that which is used widely around the world.

I am using WFBS. I current edition is 5.1 which is more than enough. Things are working quiet flawlessly here and there is no issue with workstation. I am having a mix client of Windows Vista and Windows XP. So it looks that WFBS is quiet compatible antivirus for server and it is also easy to manage. A major issue is spam and to control that you will need a effective solution that must really work well.

Re: What's the best antivirus solution for SBS 2008?

I am stuck with the spam on my server. Now around 50% of the new domain which was configured recently is loaded with spam. It is a annoying thing. I am not able to find why this really happened. Also the spam keeps on growing and there is no way to block the same. There must be some reliable source of solution that would help to block the spam and other threats without affecting the performance.

Spamming is a common bug. You can get a good antivirus and deal with the same. You can find a optimum solution for the same by getting a more better security. Many tries to find out a complete server protection by scanning everything which makes the server slow and annoying. Also a number of security applications modifies the file permission that generate more trouble. So it is better if you stick with some of most simple security solution available.

Re: What's the best antivirus solution for SBS 2008?

There are ample of companies who offer a corporate level protection to server. It is correct that if you keep your system updated you will not need antivirus for the same. With latest security patches you can keep your server security even with some basic antivirus program which is available easily. The choice of antivirus also depends on your requirement. The type of features you need and on that basis you can go for the server antivirus.

Symantec will be good choice. It is a reputed product and has all kind of solutions which are required for the server protection. While some of my friends are using Vipre. I do not know how it is capable of giving good protection but somehow it survive well and has ample of features. Symantec is a bit resource intensive antivirus but it is enough good to deal with number of security threats.