Thread: What does WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service do?

What does WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service do?

Hi, I’m running a SBS 2003 server. Since past couple of days I’m noticing that my system’s event log viewer gets full with WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service error which shows it was trying to start but gets failed every time. Also it becomes unresponsive and gets stopped. I wanted to know what does this service actually does and why is it getting failed? As of now, I have disabled it manually but is it safe? Please help.

Re: What does WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service do?

Yes, it is safe to keep it disabled but can you just tell me what the specific errors listed in event viewer when it gets failed because I guess you need to troubleshoot it to find out what is actually going on in background. I would suggest you to check the services description and see if there is anything listed for the same.

FYI, WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service lets your programs get the proxy server configuration. However you can disable or enable it whenever you want. But the thing matter here is what is it preventing it to start automatically.

Thank you very much for the info Hawkin. By the way, this is what I found log messages:

• The WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service has been idle for 15 minutes, it will be shut down. ID:12503
    • The WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service suspended operation. ID: 12517
    • The WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service service entered the stopped state. ID: 7036 (Service Control Manager)
    • The WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service service was successfully sent a start control. ID: 7035 (Service Control Manager)
    • The WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service service entered the running state. ID: 7036 (Service Control Manager)

Re: What does WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service do?

Did that help the problem disabling it?