Thread: Move WSUS Update Folder

Move WSUS Update Folder

I checked out recently "Moving Data Folders for Windows Small Business Server 2003" document from a MS article page. I just want to move the WSUS Update folder. The only instructions listed in this document, for this task, are below. Is this really all there is to it, does anyone else have some problems with it?

Step 9: Move the Windows Server Update Services Folder Updates are divided into two parts: a metadata part that describes the update, and the files required to install the update on a computer. Although metadata that describes updates is stored in the Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) database, the update files that are used to install the updates are stored in a folder on the server. You will use the Wsusutil.exe command to move the update files to a different location.

To move the WSUS update folder Wsusutil.exe is included when you install WSUS and is located in the Updates Services\Tools folder.

Click Start, click Run, and then type Cmd.

Type the following command, and then press ENTER.
    cd %drive%\Program Files\Update Services\Tools

Type the following command, and then press ENTER.
    wsusutil movecontent DestinationPath LogFile

Re: Move WSUS Update Folder

Yes, you are right, there is all that's there is to it. But be aware the utility COPIES the files to the new destination, so you have to manually delete the old. Also this has been recently covered here in some detail, had you searched the group.

I did read quite a bit but just couldn't believe that it is that easy.

Go the same problem...was runing out of space on a small C disk (25 GB) and moved it to the larger D disk (440 GB). Followed the whole guide "Moving Data Folders for Windows Small Business Server 2003" (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc708031.aspx) no problems there. Noticed that it did not move WsusContent folder it just copied it. BTW Is it realy safe to remove? But the real problem is that the database is about as big as the WsusContent folder. Duncan: As I understand it should be fairly small but on my system it is about as big as the WsusContent folder (3,43 GB) and the folder WsusDatabase (3,88 GB). The WsusDatabase folders content is two files an .mdf (3 895 232 KB) and a log file .ldf (176 488 KB). Is this really normal? Eating up a lot of space and i moved everything according to the guide and I am still a bit low.

Removed the old folder no problems. You got me interested in that Management Studio interface. But I don't think that I am blessed with a any decent version of MS SQL Server. Noticed that sqlservr process is using a lot of memory and CPU (top 2 on both). So I think that you might be right in that WSUS database should be optimized.

Seems like I left with no interface other than cmd line and osql- ran "SELECT @@VERSION" and got the following results:
    Microsoft SQL Server 2000 - 8.00.2055 (intel X86)
    Dec 16 2008 19:46:53
    Copyright (c) 1988-2003 Microsoft Corporation
    Desktop Engine on Windows NT
    5.2 <Build 3790: Service Pack 2>

Also noticed that there are 2 folders in C:\Program Files:
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server SP4

Right click on MSSQL server in tray and then options in SQL Server Service Manager gives:
    Version 8.00.2039

Am on SBS 2003 std edtion, R2. Can I really use the SQL Server Management Studio Express interface with this version of SQL Server? Seems easier than trying with cmd line. Are there any other tools or interfaces for Server 2000? Can/should I upgrade to a newer version of SQL Server?