Thread: Slow speed through VPN tunnel

Slow speed through VPN tunnel

We are getting some problem without remote office. Remote offices use offline files so while connected to the server they work/save files directly on the server. Because VPN connection to teh SBS server is unbearable the feelings among employees are not very positive about our new server solution. All, the offices uses 10mbit ethernet connections. The actual physical speed is usually 8-9mbit which is quite enough for quick file transfer. Can anyone tell us how to improve our speed a little bit more? Thanks.

Re: Slow speed through VPN tunnel

It seems to me that the speed of the VPN is limited by the speed of your internet connection that is reflected in your tests. The only way to speed this up is to get a faster internet connection on both ends.

Re: Slow speed through VPN tunnel

Can you tell us what traffic is flowing between the offices and are you using the SBS 2003 server? I think that I should consider placing a terminal server in the core office and then connecting to it with RWW or VPN from the remotes to take the load off the inter office connections. Anyways, can you tell us why you would not like to do that if infact you have considered it and decided against Terminal Services?

Have you tried to up your pings to 1500 bytes? Incase it fails, then try to reduce the byte size to 1480, 1460, 1420, etc; untill you get a consitent reply with no drops. When you are consitent then what is the response time you are getting?