Thread: Need Free Antivirus for SBS 2003

Need Free Antivirus for SBS 2003

I need some help to find a good antivirus for SBS 2003. I am searching for some helpful article on the web but there are number of cons mentioned with each tool. Like adding the antivirus can slow down the server performance. It is not related to the hardware, but the scanning and services cause performance degradation. I am looking for antivirus that I can first test and then move ahead with final installation. Can anyone help me on the same.

Yes there are ample of solution, but you will need to choose wisely as per your need. I am using Trend and it works well. But there was some bug in recent edition which is resolved. Depending on the need you can visit the websites of antivirus software and check out what all benefit they deliver. It is not complicated to find a good antivirus for windows server. Symantec also deliver some good security solutions.

Re: Need Free Antivirus for SBS 2003

I just want to ask one thing. There are antivirus like Trend or even other server security stuff. What about antivirus like AVG. Will that work on server. Because it is free and I am using that on my pc. It is working fine from last few months and able to detect threats in the system. I want to know that whether it is possible to install the same in Windows Server so that it would be much more helpful.

No it is not possible to install AVG on windows server. It just offer a basic protection while windows server works differently. If you are having Exchange server also then you will need a more better professional solution with easy managing options. Antivirus are loaded with number of stuff that you can use to make your server more secure. You can go on web and search for server antivirus. There are some manufacturers that still provide a free edition for server protection and it works well.

There are ample of antivirus like Kaspersky, Quickheal, etc that offer you server level protection. But I am doubtful about testing. I do not think all of them will give you a free antivirus to test. But there are chances to get a trail edition on few of those application. Just look for trail and you would be able to find some antivirus with all the features unlocked. Do not go for a free or demo edition.

Check for Clamwin. It is a nice antivirus for server security and it really works well. I had seen some features and one my friend is using the same in his office. There are few features added for less confusion but it deliver some of the best option to keep your system protected. And also it a bit light compare to other. Trend is a bit resource hungry. That is one of the major thing that you will need to look to stay secure.

RE: Need Free Antivirus for SBS 2003

Try to check everything in test environment and look for trial antivirus only. The reason to check in test environment is, if there is any bug or error that appeared after installation or un-installation you would face more trouble. The most important thing to check is to manage the settings. Because you are aware that there are ample of services which work in windows server and the antivirus must not block that. It would make your job more complicated.

There is a big difference between antivirus like Trend and Claimwin. Trend offers corporate level solution and it is one of the best antivirus for server. There are many option that are provided which help you to manage a large network easily. It is not at all complicated to work on the same. There are many providers but all of them are not so good. They give you server protection on system level only. What about the external threats.

I am also testing the same. It is almost 15 days now I am using Trend. I found a bit performance issue. Before the server boot up fast and has easy connectivity. But after installing trend the time is pushed to 4 to 8 seconds higher. It looks this antivirus keeps on scanning the activities due to which it is delayed. It is not complicated but quiet nice solution for server. I added more ram to the server and the performance is no acceptable.

I think people are more confused about the problem today. The antivirus program is designed on the basis of threats. So going for server antivirus is better instead of looking for system specific security. You must go online and look for some better solution and then you would be able to find the right edition. There are more antivirus like Trend available that offer you corporate level protection.