Thread: Can't upload documents in Sharepoint Services 3.0 (WSS 3.0)

Can't upload documents in Sharepoint Services 3.0 (WSS 3.0)

Hello.

I've installed Sharepoint Services 3.0 (WSS 3.0) and everything seems to work fine, except one thing: the loading function.

My user has complete control over a specific list, including therefore uploading a file. Suppose I access my WSS site today for the first time of the day and I try to upload a file: I get an error stating that I don't have enough persmissions.
    I relog as administrator and I try to upload a file: the page is displayed properly.
    Now I relog back to my user and I try to upload a file. What I see is that now i can upload documents as I'm supposed to do.

It looks like accessing that page as Administrator "unlock" the page itself for all the other users. This repeats every day.

Do you have any idea how I can try to fix this problem, please?

Re: Can't upload documents in Sharepoint Services 3.0 (WSS 3.0)

Hello Cortez,

Your problem seems to be related to Sharepoint and you have posted it in SBS Newsgroup. This isn't an SBS issue. Try posting in a sharepoint group for the most expert help with this.

Thank you, Lanwench.

I've posted in this group since I've seen other WSS issues here, and I wasn't able to find a more suitable one. I'll have another look anyway, thanks.

RE: Can't upload documents in Sharepoint Services 3.0 (WSS 3.0)

The very first thing we need to do is check the security configuration after upgrading to WSSv3. Here is how to do the same:

Start by allowing administrator to add a new user (rather than use former WSSv2 ones) and give it at least contribute level privilege. Make sure the new user must have enough privilege to upload files, otherwise he won't see the Upload option in the site. You can confirm it in People and Group, Check if the user is in one of the following default levels: Contribute, Design or Full Control.

Thank you for your reply, techman

First of all, I'd like to inform that I've posted this thread in microsoft.public.sharepoint.windowsservices, but I'm having definitely more costructive replies here than there. Thanks again for this.

You got the matter of my issue.
    I'm not upgrading from WSS2.0 to WSS 3.0, but I've made a fresh installation of WSS3.0. Anyway, I confirm that that group of users (mine included) can see the "upload" button and have the proper authorizations, but if they press it, they receive HTTP error 403. I have an Italian Windows version, so I get the Italian version of the message, but in English should be something like "You don't have the permissions to access the required webpage. Website requires authorization.".

Now I'm replying to your questions:
    1. I relog to Administrator in Sharepoint website, not on Windows. When I do that, I see correctly the "upload" page, and if I relog (in Sharepoint) to my user, I can see the "upload" page again. I remark, not the button (which I always see and can click) but the page I'm suppose to get after clicking the button.
    2. I've installed a fresh WSS3.0 on my Windows Server 2003 Standard. Added my user, based on Active Directory, and granted full control both to the site and to the Sharepoint list. I access my Sharepoint site with IE7 and I see I'm logged in. I click on the "Upload" button but I get HTTP error 403. If I want to change the authorizations of the users, I can access the list of the users, but if I try to modify the authorization I still get HTTP error 403.
    If I relog (in Sharepoint) as Administrator and access at least one page where I need credentials, and then I relog to my user, then I can access everything as expected.
    3. This issue happens with all the users I've tried
    4. HTTP Error 403

I'd like to add, also, that WSS databases aren't in the server hosting WSS, but in a dedicated SQL2000 server.

Thank you again for your time.
    Last edited by Cortez; 15-09-2008 at 12:57 PM.

Re: Can't upload documents in Sharepoint Services 3.0 (WSS 3.0)

I think you should go through the following Microsoft KBs:

It seems I've found a solution: the reason was in the IIS authentication protocol. Setting it to Kerberos rather than NTLM fixed my problem.

For those who don't know where these settings are (traslating from Italian, so names might be slightly different): Central administration > Application management > Authentication provider > IIS authentication settings.

Hope this helps.

Thanks everyone for helping me, especially Miles Li.