Thread: "Windows firewall cannot run because another program or service is running

"Windows firewall cannot run because another program or service is running

There are two NIC on my SBS 2003 server. There is a firewall also which is active. Now I am facing a problem with Windows Firewall when I am trying to use a different program or service. After looking inside event viewer I found that the issue lies with ipnat.sys. So the issue mostly lies with nat which is running behind firewall and it is blocking it. How can I unblock all the stuff and make it work actively. There must be any guide available on the same.

What are you trying to do. Can you explain the exact process. There are two nic in nat mode. AS per the problem that you had mentioned it looks you will need to either disable firewall or add the applications inside exclusion list. That is the only way it will work. You can test that in two ways. First disable the firewall for temporary purpose and check the same. Later on one by one add the application under exclusion list and then check again.

Running SB 2003 two nic cards as a router, firewall enabled through rras, have vnc installed and was working remotely until recent microsoft update. now when attempting to configure vnc, error message appears stating firewall need to have exception for program vnc. Could really use some advise as to where to make the exception and add the necessary ports?

So the next logical question is where and how to deploy the alternatives.

You will need to open some ports. I was facing the issue related to RWW. But later on I opened a port and things were fine. I open two ports 443 and 4125 from the router and things are working fine. There is no problem with the same. Try run CEICW once again. There are some set of option available to configure application for access.

re: "Windows firewall cannot run because another program or service is running

My question is, how can I disable the firewall in this situation...

Quote Originally Posted by AzeemDanish View Post
    My question is, how can I disable the firewall in this situation...
    If you are getting the below error message:
    Windows Firewall can not run because another program or service is running that might use the Network Address Translation component (IPNat.sys)
    Then you can disable RRAS by opening the MMC and then "Disable Remote Access and Routing", if you want then you can do the same by Right-clicking "My Computer" and then opening the Service and Application node, when you do the same then Windows Firewall and Connection Sharing service will take over and you can further disable the firewall in the normal way.

This error is cause due to the settings left in by "Routing and Remote Access" service. And windows wont stop reporting this error even if the service is stopped because the RRAS is still holding the bindings of the network card. So what we need to do is disable RRAS by opeing the MMC for it and also disable "Remote Access and Routing". There is also a shortcut for opening this option by right clicking on my computer and then opening the Service and Application node. Thus the network protocol interface bindings gets removed by disabling the RRAS by following the suggested method and this allows windows firewall and connection sharing service to take over the part.