Thread: Mouse settings revert to default on reboot

Mouse settings revert to default on reboot

I recently did a fresh install of Windows Vista on my desktop running with P4 3.4Ghz, 2GB RAM and 250Gb SATA Hard Drive. Earlier this system was running with Windows XP where I was using Logitech MX1000 lazer cordless mouse comfortably with all Microsoft driver. When I installed Vista about 10 days ago, the mouse was working fine but that last for just about a week.

Now since it is a Logitech product and I was using Microsoft drivers, I thought remove Microsoft drivers and install Logitech’s own drivers made for Windows Vista. I download all drivers from Logitech along with Setpoint and installed. But since then I started getting some problem with the mouse like the cursor/pointer became very hard, mouse started lagging and many more issues. Hence I reverted back t Microsoft Drivers and installed Setpoint as well.

But the problem am facing now is the speed gets low and every time I need to increase it by going to control panel with few more settings. But every time I reboot my Vista, it comes to the default settings. I mean the mouse settings go to default every time I restart my pc. Any help please ?

I was having the same problem and fortunately found a solution that fixed my problem. The main cause of the problem is the Logitech Setpoint Software and that needs to be uninstalled completely. I know you have already removed it but that is no enough because it remains in the startup menu and that is what creating the problem.

So just stype “msconfig” in start menu or RUN box, go to startup Tab and uncheck Setpoint from the startup programs. That’s it. Now restart the system once and make the settings again of your mouse. From next time when you will boot your system you wont be facing the problem again.

I don’t know how it worked for you Maratha, in my case when I was too facing Logitech mouse/keyboard settings problems on boot up, somebody advised me to remove SetPoint.exe from start up as you said. But when I did the same, my keyboard problem was solved but mouse problem was still there. I searched more about the same on internet and found that we need to disable KHALJMNPR.exe in the startup and allow SetPoint. I did the same and now my mouse and keyboard, both are working fine.

Solution for mouse speed problem

Why are you guys trying out so hardcore troubleshooting if it can be done more easily?. If you have Logitech's Setpoint you have two pointer speed controls. Instead of setting mouse controls through you computer’s Control panel you just need to make those settings under Setpoint itself. This will solve the pointer speed reset problem.