Thread: How to hide update notification icon?

How to hide update notification icon?

Can anyone tell me how to hide the update notification icon (which is actually the yellow shield) in the system tray? I have found that if users have local admin rights (which is with us), then they will always see the yellow icon after the updates that have been downloaded but it will disappear once they are installed? I have already enabled the Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows update > "Remove access to use all Windows Update features", but that is not working for me? Any other ideas? Thanks

Re: How to hide update notification icon?

Well, you are using the right way to enable this for the users in a OU.

Re: How to hide update notification icon?

Did you check if they are using the builtin Administrator account? Incase the account is local then the user group policy will not be applied for the domain. The only solution will be set the group policy locally on the machine. Incase the accounts are in the domain then ensure the GPO in question is being applied to the OU containing the user objects, or if loopback mode is enabled, the computer objects. You can also use the gpresult to check which GPOs are being applied.

enjoy

There are numerous reasons as to why Microsoft may detect an irregularity on legitimate software and thus labeling it as pirated software. Until this issue can be resolved with Microsoft, there are a few tips that you can do so that your computer will function properly. With this comes this disclaimer; In no way does this posting support counterfeit software, NOT AT ALL : ). These fixes are intended to make your computer run fluidly and uninterrupted (seemingly normal) until the pirated issue can be resolved (unfortunately, it is often times a long road to recovery). These are fixes that will work on all XP operating systems to allow your operating system to run fluidly even after Microsoft has detected the irregularity and incorrectly labeled it as pirated software.

You've probably been searching around for cures and here is just some common sense information. When you have computer problems due to viruses, trojans, malware, spyware, etc. there are specific programs to take care of these issues and they will isolate and/or delete them, it's what they're intended to do (I personally prefer AVG for viruses and Spybot for the other stuff, merely because they work and are FREE). Like I said it is what those programs are intended to do, not what the novice computer person is supposed to do. Do yourself a favor, if you see anybody telling you to fix your computer problems by deleting things, downloading stuff, or messing with your registry, it would be a great indication of their incompetence . . . RUN! Things are far easier than that. It's just common sense. That said, back to the issue at hand, your XP is being detected as pirated. First thing you will see when Microsoft labels you a thief is a blue star logo and various messages that come along with. Also, it will be followed by a continuous update warning icon on your system tray. The fixes listed below are intended to make those aspects inactive and thusly make your computer fluidly functional until . . . you can fix your falsely labeled pirated software, of course ; ) Follow them slowly, to the “t”, and DO NOT DEVIATE. If you do this all will flow smoothly.

So as for the blue star icon and all the associated messages, follow these steps. Go to and open “My Computer” icon>Local Disc (CSmile>Windows>system32. Now in the “system32” file, find and rename these two files (any other name will do: spot, scruffy, mildred, whatever): “WgaTray.exe” and “WgaLogon.dll”. Once the two files have been renamed then close the window. Hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete, click “Task Manager” and click the “Processes” tab, click on “wgatray.exe” and click “End Process” button and a warning window will pop up, inside that window click “Yes”. Then simply restart your computer and BLUE STAR GONE BYE BYE, as well as all of its' associated messages. Isn't that simple?

Now you will probably be getting an ANNOYING windows update icon on your system tray. This icon will direct you to the Microsoft website where it will only redetect your unresolved issue (as of yet, of course). To resolve this temporary situation merely go to: “Start” button>run>type in "services.msc" and hit “ok” and a new window will appear. There's gonna be two areas you want to concern yourself with in that window. First is "Automatic Updates": right click on that and hit properties and the properties window will pop up, you will see "Startup type", select manual and hit "apply". Now click "Automatic Updates" and at the upper left corner select "stop the service". The second area of concern is "Security Center", take the same two steps that you did for "Automatic Updates". When you've finished go up to the file button at the upper left corner of the window and hit exit. Then restart you computer. VOILA! Isn't that simple?

Once these steps have been taken your computer will run almost as normal as any XP out there. I did say almost, right? But please remember, Microsoft still thinks you're a thief (which makes our rich uncle Bill very unhappy). As such, during this period of time that you haven't as of yet resolved your pirated software issues you must keep in mind these simple things. You CAN (oh yes you can) continue to download security updates from Microsoft. However, you will not be able to update certain software and bask in the plethora of wonders that the Microsoft gods have created. Such as: internet explorer 7 (however you will have version 6), media player 11 (but you'll have 10), etc. and so on. I know . . . it's crushing. But the gods of another universe have created Firefox and WinAmp, equally worthy of worship. If by chance you download that nasty blue star logo again (because these issues can at times take a long time to resolve), then just merely follow the above steps again.

Piracy is no joking matter, it robs companies (from the smallest to the ridiculously GINORMOUS) of much potential earnings. Our multi-multi-billion dollar friend, Microsoft, is only using all its' available resources to look out for the its interests and that of it's patrons and of course to protect us all from such malicious pirates. I know we all sleep better knowing that Microsoft looks after us so well and I just want to say thank you Bill. Kids, thank your uncle Bill. (Oh! And I wrote this on a program called Open Office. If you haven't heard of this open source FREE version of Microsoft's Office software, then merely go to openoffice.org to receive your completely FREE copy. It has it's compatible version of Excel, Powerpoint, Word, etc. And yes, they do communicate and can transfer information to and from Microsoft Office documents. Just don't tell uncle Bill). Hope this posting was helpful and beneficial . . . HAVE A NICE DAY!

Sincerely your friendly neighborhood Microsoft supporter,

-Winblows