Thread: VerifyWUServerURL() failed with hr=0x80072ee6

VerifyWUServerURL() failed with hr=0x80072ee6

From last 3 days I am facing this issue. I hope some of people here can provide me more highlight on the same. I am getting a error when I try to run Clientdiag on a client system. The WSUS is able to sync and it looks to be working fine. I had a small extract of log that will help to put a bit more highlight on the same. WSUS Client Diagnostics Tool log shows VerifyWUServerURL() failed with hr=0x80072ee6 - the URL does not use a recognized protocol error. What does this means. Second in Windows update log I found the same error. The update url is fine and there are no security services which are blocking it. But still the .cab fail failed in self update process. What should I do now.

This is a basic error. It most appears when a number of your url are not fine. Try to remove the trailing slash form the WSUS server url. Sometime there are double slash which also cause the same issue. You can fix the same manually and it works fine then. Another thing are you getting the error in single machine of in a target group. Ensure that the machine does not has any ASCII characters. Another thing which is important here to check is settings of your proxy server or firewall. You can try to check the url through your web browser. If you can't then verify the same.

I had manually downloaded some updates. In my system the TCP/IP configuration on client systems are working well. I can surf web and open sites. At the time of running updates I mostly disable the firewall settings. So there is no suspect of any security application blocking this process. I am still getting the same error on client systems.

This is a clear url bug. At ample of forums I had seen the same error and yet people are dealing with it. There are some people who had reported that error is fixed if they modify the urls. That looks to be the only ideal solution we have here. I am doubtful about the IIS here. I am looking for some help on working with IIS service here.

That looks like to be a normal error. I hope there is no major bug in that. Update your system once and if possible check the version of WSUS also. In my system I was stuck with the same where I had removed the WSUS server settings. I am checking this on a test client. I had performed Automatic update there and it took all needed stuff. The WSUS mechanism proved to be a bit more annoying compared to the regular service.

I also need help with the same issue. The error is no constant and I am not able to run any updates here. Manual updates work here, but it is not at all worth to go with a manual process. I will need to keep a eye on all upcoming updates. I had created a new gp object to create new WSUS settings. I had applied the same on a test machine to find whether it works or not. But that also did not helped much. On the same test machine installed fresh Windows to ensure that it can download updates directly from Microsoft. Later on I had added that on server now waiting whether the issue resolves or not.

Creating new Group Policy Object worked for me. It looks like some new updates or changes had modified the settings. After creating a new GPO and reconfiguring WSUS settings the issue is resolved. But why does the issue appear. It is better if updates are managed on their own. My another branch has servers installed on Vmware machines. So does that make any difference.