Thread: Windows Internal Database will not start after Active Directory Install

Windows Internal Database will not start after Active Directory Install

As you can understand my issue by reading the title. I found a KB article which shows how to fix the issue. But still I am not able to find the msi file name. What does that means. From where I can download it. Can anyone provide me more highlight on the workaround part - Msiexec /i SSEE_10.msi CALLERID=OCSetup.exe REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=omus /qn REBOOT=ReallySupress /l*v <Log_File_Path>

You cannot start the SQL Server service after you install Active Directory on a Windows Server 2003-based member server or you run the DCPromo command on a Windows Server 2003-based domain controller

The issue looks with your installation file. You can find that on the server or sql installation disc. Search for the msi file that is mentioned over there. I was working on WSUS 3.0 setup through WSUS3Setupx86.exe file. I had installed that through Windows Insternal Database which popped out the .msi error. To some extent it is a bit complicated to find the file download. The .exe file is a kind of self extract package which normally puts the installation in the temp folder. Try to locate the same in that. Try to perform the setup once more time by removing all things one more time.

re: Windows Internal Database will not start after Active Directory Install

I had gone with many measures to run IIS properly but yet not success in that. The issue appear when I installed IIS on a non-dc server. There are some local accounts which are created by the setup. Here all can access IIS through that IUSR_machinename account. So the next time when you run dcpromo it clears the SAM and other anonymous users tries to find the same on machine which does not exist. That is the reason does not work. There are some basic steps that you need to do to make this thing work. A same kind of issue also occur when you try to run dcpromo on a Domain Controller through IIS. The account I had mentioned above IUSR_machinename and IWAM_machinename is stored in Active Directory. You can manually create those accounts and then assign the necessary permission through the web server for those new accounts. I had provided a reference link below that can help you for the process.

How To Promote a Member Server Running IIS to a Domain Controller Running IIS
    DCPROMO does not retain permissions on some IIS folders

I am working on this from a long time and yet not able to get the right solution for it. I am sure about one thing here. There is no issue with dcpromo here. But running it will provide following changes. The local account become the domain account. There is another security template which is usually applied and if some application which depends on this fails to work. There can be problem with running dcpromo to get rid of AD on a system which has IIS. The effects mostly depend on the last dc which lies in the domain or not.

It looks that re-installing WSUS does not fix anything. I had re-installed and there are still some changes which are intact. There are two root folders in my system which are not changed and I think the issue appear because of them. The ACLs are not getting updated due to them. After checking out the details in log I had found that installing IIS on CD may give some help.

There are rare cases where WSUS installation has worked properly. My system is still on SP2 while some old are still working on SP1 only. There are some things you can do here for those old internal accounts. I had seen a number of common thread and kb article on Microsoft site. I hope you can find more better work around there.

I am facing issue with WSUS 3 proper function. I found that IIS_WPG does not has any permission on the temp folder. Other than this I cannot find any IIS account which has permission for Update service. The issue lies from a long time. Here for me the IWAN and ASPNET account really does not matter. As they are still a kind of unresolved issue. It is correct that Microsoft Knowledge Base offer more simple approach to the issue.

It is actually a waste of time in reading so much discussion and not find a appropriate answer on it. The problem keeps on getting more complicated. I had decided to work on test machine this time. I hope I can make something work here. At start while configuration I face a internal error about Windows Server. I tried to work with SP1 first but that did not installed at all.

I am running Windows XP SP3 in one client system. Recently I had installed Office 2007 Enterprise edition. Now the internal sql error looks like giving some error. I had seen that in a log file. It was related to some event ID 17207. I found a patch on Microsoft to fix the same. It worked. You can check the link below. The work around mention in the patch is somewhat related to a common error which above all are facing. Hope this helps.

You cannot start the SQL Server service after you install Active Directory on a Windows Server 2003-based member server or you run the DCPromo command on a Windows Server 2003-based domain controller

"To work around this issue, repair Windows Internal Database. To do this, run the following command line at a command prompt:
    Msiexec /i SSEE_10.msi CALLERID=OCSetup.exe REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=omus /qn REBOOT=ReallySupress /l*v <Log_File_Path> "
    This command is used for repairing the database. But even after doing the repair, if you are getting the same error, that means there are some files that are missing from it. So I would like to suggest you to re-install the SQL. Reinstalling it might resolve the problem.

Good Morning

I also have this posted on the Technet forum board:

Good Morning,

I'm the system admin for a small company. We have a dedicated domain controller but it is the only one. To get a second domain controller up and running on our domain, I installed the AD role on our file and in-house testing SQL server. I found the article

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929665

In the article it reads

To work around this issue, repair Windows Internal Database. To do this, run the following command line at a command prompt:
    Msiexec /i SSEE_10.msi CALLERID=OCSetup.exe REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=omus /qn REBOOT=ReallySupress /l*v <var><Log_File_Path></var>

My question is what is the Log_File_Path? Is that where I installed the AD log path or is that a SQL log path?

It also appears that we might have to uninstall and then reinstall SQL?

My DBA is also looking into this.

Thanks in advance,
    Brian

Hi BrianFink,

I guess Log_File_Path is used for SQL. You can read more about it here - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...7(SQL.90).aspx

Apart from the, I also faced similar problems and to solve it I followed the below suggestions:

Check out this KB first 925976 ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925976 ) .

This might fix the problem that I saw when I ran KB929665. I did not find this until later and I resolved the problem using the "brut force" method. Not graceful but successful.

Here were my steps:

1. Uninstall WSS 3.0

2. Uninstall .NET 3

3. Uninstall Windows Internal Database: (http://technet2.microsoft.com/window....mspx?mfr=true)

4. Cleaned Registry as per 925976. I only found two keys: SQLGroup and FTSGroup)

5. Install AD

6. Install .NET 3

7. Install WSS 3.0

8. Restored Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 by using Central Administrator. I had previously setup scheduled tasks for Full and differential back-ups with a cmd line script using stsadm.exe

KB 929665 left out some key info. Here are the 2 cmd line that worked for me. I had to cd to the directory first. Putting the full path into the msiexec line did not work for me.

CD C:\Program Files\MSECache\wssv3\database

Msiexec /i SSEE_10.msi CALLERID=OCSetup.exe REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=omus /qn REBOOT=ReallySupress /l*v C:\sqlfix.log

Thanks for the information.

I've passed it on to my DBA who is reviewing it. What really hurts is that one of our production databases is down, which I only found out recently.

Brian