Thread: Unable to connect to remote server

Unable to connect to remote server

I have SBS 2003 installed on my machine and have also installed WSUS 3.0 and defined the synchronisation options for not to use authentication to the firewall. I have made sure that ISA server allows ports 80 and 443. If I am trying the synchronisation then I am getting the below error:

When attempting synchronisation, an error occurs

WebException : Unable to connect to the remote server ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: A socket operation was attempted from an unreachable host.

Any ideas? Thanks for any information.

Re: Unable to connect to remote server

I think that you will have to ensure that ISA allows access for the "Local Host" on HTTP/HTTPS, that will help you out.

Thank you for the reply but I dont know much about ISA to implement your method. The IP filters that are concerned both allow the respective traffic on a port, with the local computer being "the default ip addresse(s) on the external interface?" Any ideas?

You need to go into the setup for the access rule, on the From tab and then add the network called "Local Host".

I guess that you are talking about a latter version of ISA because we are right now running ISA Server 2000 from SBS 2003 SP1 and not R2 version. I am not able to find the "From" tabs in Access Rules, infact I am unable to find the "Access Rules" itself? Thanks

The type of error message that you are getting seems to me that the machines were looking in the wrong place for the authrootstl.cab file that might have been moved. So, my guess would be that the proxy server that's not working has not been perfectly updated to account for these changes.