Thread: WSUS 3.0 give error saying IIS Worker Process encountered a problem and needed to close

WSUS 3.0 give error saying IIS Worker Process encountered a problem and needed to close

Whenever I start WSUS console I am getting a error message on the screen saying that IIS Worker Process encountered a problem and needed to close. The version of WSUS console is 3.0.xxx something. The faulty application that was listed to be producing error is w3wp.exe. The error code listed is 0x00002fe7.

I am too having the same error. I though re-installing WSUS will fix the issue. So removed it first and then installed it back again. But it did not worked. The error still exist in my system. I am having two servers and the error started after WSUS upgrade. There is some faulty app which is causing this. I think re-installing will work as it simply overwrites the files and make stuff properly.

Re: WSUS 3.0 give error saying IIS Worker Process encountered a pr

Did you tried restarting IIS service. I hope that make this work. I had applied some updates which cause the failure. I had sent a report also but it did not worked. The error is too frequent now. I had restarted the server and it looks to be resolved. But still sometime it appears. I think there is some application which is affected. Does security applications are responsible for the same.

The issue is related to some network services which is located in the WSUS drive. I am going through detailed documentation of WSUS which can provide me a bit bigger highlight on the issue. I had checked the permission first associated with the folder. I cannot locate the help documents on Microsoft site. After going through permission documents I found that the network service is installed but read/write is limited and by allowing full control the issue can be resolved.

Re: WSUS 3.0 give error saying IIS Worker Process encountered a problem and needed to close

Are you referring to the folder inside hard drive. There are certain documents which are already available in the root folder. The location for the same is WSUS\Wsus Content. There is a permission guide that can help you to find what you are looking for. Also there is a tool that can allow you to check the health of WSUS. The command for the same is wsusutil checkhealth. You will receive the error message in the tool itself. If you found the same error then you can visit microsoft site to find the needed patch.

Check the permission of IIS and NTFS. I hope you are accessing or running the service in admin account. Re-installing can fix but only if the setup has full right to perform the action. The command wsusutil checkhealth can tell you the issue with permission errors. I had checked this issue on number of forums and almost everywhere it was strictly mentioned to check the permission status. Check your error logs. You can find something there.

Re: WSUS 3.0 give error saying IIS Worker Process encountered a problem and needed to close

What I know about WSUS is that there is no change in the permission automatically or at the time of setup. The process includes checking and validating the permission that are required by WSUS. It is right to spend a bit more time in documentations as it offers you more clear way to deal with the issue. When the folder WSUS is created by the installation, the same is done through correct permission.

I have applied the permissions correctly several times on a server, and am still getting the error. Anyone have any other ideas?

Resolved

When using domain, replace Administrators and Users for Domain Admins and Domain Users, where appropriate. When running on different drive than C, Network account case applies too.