Thread: EventID 364: content file download failed

EventID 364: content file download failed

I was working on my home Vista clients. To enable WSUS 2.0 SP1 I had configured Vista Updates. After a few while I receive the following error. The event id was 364 which gives a error saying that content file download failed.Reason: The client does not have sufficient access rights to the requested server object. What does this error is related to. The source file listed in the error report was some .cab file. In WSUS there were number of updates which showed up a red x box which did not changed.

Check the below link. The update error is related to WSUS server synchronization. The associated event id listed is 364. It looks a clear permission issue due to which the service is not able to access or modifies the system file. In my system the updates still shows they are downloading. Yet the update status is not fixed completely. Somewhat the problem also persist if no root-certificates are installed in your system. This plays a vital role in identifying the updates.

A WSUS server does not synchronize when you try to update files

Manual update might work. Because I was too not able to run updates. I have only 4 workstations configured. The error was just for few minutes. Later on it disappeared automatically. There was a small registry fix I found worked well. You have to check in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{EF289A85-8E57-408d-BE47-73B55609861A}. There is a value listed here which defines the new certificates. Also the Microsoft Support link which is given above provides the following resolution : To resolve this behavior, make sure that the authenticated users, ASPNET, and the IIS_WPG groups have at least read permission to the drive on the WSUS server that is hosting the updates.

This is not a major bug. Just read the above bold text properly. It shows that the user account which you are using does not has enough privileges to perform that action. If you search the error on Google you will find ample of articles that has proper detail on the error and resolution. Does your client system access internet via proxy. Ensure that they have maximum right to modify the files. Another option you have to check is the Firewall status. It must be set on normal behaviour so that it can allow the updates to work properly.

I am too thinking that the reason behind this issue is proxy settings. it looks due to proxy the request is blocked. Just go in the logs and find the details on the same. You will be able to check the error related to that. There is a crucial update called as WSUS root certificate updates which if fails this kind of error are generated.

My system showed me two error event ID 12503 and 12517. When I checked the information related to them on web I found the problem was because of WinHttpAutoProxySvc. I had tried to download some different updates, but that too failed. The sync simply did not responded properly. This has happen when I try to run WSUS 3.0 updates.